Possesion

At some point, Veronica passed out. Sprawled out on the queen sized bed in her hotel room. But she'd always been a light sleeper, regardless of how drunk she was. A few hard knocks on her door pulled her out of her slumber.

If she didn't get up to answer, they wouldn't desist. It sounded like that kind of knock. She wondered how long they'd been standing behind that door, waiting for someone to respond.

She had a headache. Earlier, she'd inaccurately predicted how sick she'd be at this time. She was overly dehydrated and very hungover.

She struggled getting herself off the bed. Once she'd managed to stand up, she slowly strolled towards the door.

"Who is it?" she asked.

"It's Daniel. I found your shoe."

At first, Veronica was confused, but it didn't take long for her to recall losing her high heel earlier in the day. Or last night. Whenever she'd lost it.

She stifled the urge to vomit all over the floor, gagging while holding her hand to her mouth. Then she took a deep breath and opened the door.

"How'd you know it was mine?" she asked.

"How couldn't I?" He grinned. "I noticed them a mile away. You don't see a lot of girls wearing sparkling white shoes to a wrap party."

They were quite distinctly structured shoes, suede leather adorned with pearls and crystals. Ralston asked her where she'd even think to wear them when she'd first purchased the heels, because they were considered bridal shoes. She assured him she'd make use of them eventually.

"Thanks," she said.

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

Great. She must have looked terrible.

"I had a little too much to drink earlier. I'll be okay. I just need some rest."

"Why don't you let me help you? I'll get you some water." He was still holding her shoe, so he used his free hand to help her to the bed.

When she fell on top of the tangled sheets, he placed her shoe on the ground, walked back to the door, and locked it.

She struggled to sit up. For some reason she felt worse now than she had when she'd gone to bed. And lying down only made her dizzy.

Daniel was by her side with a glass of water he retrieved from the bathroom. "Here," he said.

She took the glass and drank the whole thing. When it was empty, he brought her another.

"Don't drink it too fast. It won't help if you do," he warned her.

As instructed, she slowed down.

Daniel pulled the glass from her grasp. "I'll refill this and leave it on the table. In case you need some water later." So he headed back to refill the cup. Minutes later, he returned to her bedside and set it on the nightstand.

"Thanks for looking after me," she said, smiling at him. "It's sweet of you."

He was grinning at her. "I've got another secret," he said.

"What?"

"Lie back." He was already helping her lie on her back without giving her a chance to protest. "Put one leg on the ground."

She stretched her leg out, shifting a bit so she was closer to the edge of the bed, and her foot was flat against the ground.

"Don't you feel better now?" he asked her.

She closed her eyes and after a few moments of silence, she noticed the dizziness actually was beginning to dissipate. "Yeah."

Suddenly, she felt his weight on her, and in her drunken state, her brain delayed a physical reaction. He was on her and his lips were pressed against hers.

When her body did catch up with her brain, she shoved him away. "No, just stop."

That seemed to make him more determined. His strength overpowered hers. No amount of effort could fully push him off.

"Stop it," she pleaded.

"I did so much for you Ronnie. You know why? Because I saw something in you. I saw something in you no one else did."

"Get of off me." The desperation in her voice was palpable.

But he didn't. He didn't get off her and he didn't stop. And no one could hear her because he'd covered her mouth with a hand.

She fought every second, but it was futile. The pain escalated and she felt violated. Physically, she was powerless. Her mind screamed at her to do something, but what could she do?

Then it was over. He zipped himself up, fixed his shirt and stood up. "You're welcome Ronnie. Sweet dreams."

She didn't move. Didn't even watch him as he left. Only when she heard the door slowly open and shut did she realize he was gone.