Fireworks and then some

July 4 came, and Nate had a barbecue then set off fireworks. What could go wrong with fireworks and this family? Everything could go wrong. Have you met this family?

As Nate cooked, Pat, Dominique, and Karen helped with the sides while Jonas and Cayson went to pick up the fireworks. The boys were playing volleyball, and I was taking it easy. Simple, right? Did we forget Grammy Gray was there? Nothing is ever simple.

She came out and placed a drink in front of me and took a seat on the other side of the table.

"Why aren't you playing with the boys?" She asked me.

"Because I prefer my nose not to get broken again," I smiled.

She let out a hearty chuckle.

"You know, my grandsons have taken quite a shine to you," she said to me.

"Yeah, but it hasn't always been like that. Growing up next to the brothers wasn't easy."

"Growing up with the Gray boys is never easy," she smirked.

"How did you do it? I mean, how did you handle raising three boys?" I asked her.

"With a lot of help. I didn't just have Grayson, but I also had a family and the neighbors," she said to me. "Years ago, that's what people did. They helped each other. These days they don't do that. Times have changed so much." She let out a sigh.

"So, I got to ask. Why are you the way you are?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, no offense, but your kind of." I stopped myself. I didn't want to tick off Grammy Gray.

"Nuts?" she asked, her lips curling into a smile.

"Well, yeah."

"Margaret, I will tell you a secret. That secret is to enjoy life. When things seem rough, or you have a fight with the person in your life, or you're overwhelmed, enjoy your life. Laugh a lot. I do these things because I enjoy having fun, and I love to see my boys worry since they worried me growing up."

I thought about it for a minute. Then I realized why Grammy did what she did. I looked at her, and she smiled, "Payback."

She nodded, and I couldn't help but laugh. Grammy Gray wasn't crazy or nuts; she was getting even with her boys for what they put her through. I had to admit, that was a genius. She wasn't crazy but smart. I would need to spend a lot of time with her for her to teach her tricks to me.

As we talked outside, there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it," Pat said, wiping off her hands. She walked to the front door, and her eyes widened. "Grayson," she said, surprised.

"Patty," he greeted her.

"W-what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I just came to find out what trouble my Lucille has been getting herself into and trust me, no need to lie, I already know," he said in a gruff voice as he strolled passed her.

He walked into the kitchen and nodded to Dominique and Karen, and they dropped their dishes in shock.

If there was one person who could put the fear of God into people, it was Grayson Gray.

He opened the door and stepped out. Then he closed it behind him. Nate looked up and did a double-take. "Dad!"

"Nathaniel," he greeted Nate.

Lucille turned as did I and smiled wickedly. "What took you so long?"

He gave her a look. "I had to escape cousin Earl. Thanks for that."