Chapter 1

"Bye, and I will call you once I reach" I said to Ming leaning in through the window, he still looked worried and was not okay with me going alone especially to my paternal grandparents / family home.

"Let me join you Kit, please" he said. I shook my head, "Go on, thanks for dropping me, and Convey my regards to Ma & Pa" I said and waved to him as my bus started.

It has been half an year now since Ming and I started dating and I have never been this happy in my life as if was this past 6 months, and with our semester exams done we were all due for a break – medical faculty was the last to finish our exams, while Yo and Ming's had been over for more than a week now.

Ming has dropped me off at the bus station as I am heading to my paternal grandparent's family home – much against my will.

Every year there is a family gathering, which me and mom avoid going to, my dad attends and on his return is usually grumpy and violent. Me and my ma tip toe around him, ensuring that nothing triggers him. We have both have been on the receiving end of his blows, kicks and harsh words.

My pa was never the same after that year and it was due to me that my mom has to suffer as well. I sigh, this year – There has been a strict order from my grandpa to bring me and my ma, and my father made sure that I come directly there by taking my ma – it was an open blackmail.

I sighed and opened my eyes, I must really have left my thoughts wander – bus had reached the Rayong.

I stepped out if the bus station and saw my dad waiting to pick me up, I quickly walked up to him and said my greetings – he smiled and asked about my exams.

We didn't speak much and I can't seem to keep my heartbeat under control. It was like travelling with a ticking time bomb and I was not sure what would be the trigger.

I must have visibly relaxed when I saw my mom at home, she hugged me quickly asked "Was everything okay" while servants and my relatives might think it was a normal question , only I knew what it mean "Yes, ma" I assured her. I did feel guilty hiding about Ming to her, but I didn't want to cause any more trouble.

I gave my greeting to my aunt and uncle, my pa's younger sister and her husband, and when it was time to meet my grandpa, I couldn't control my shivers, my mom saw me trembling and took my hand.

Pa instructed us to follow him, and I almost hid behind my ma while greeting my grandpa.

It was the first time I am seeing him after what had happened, ma had ensured my grandpa never met me all these years, but she had paid the price too, to my abusive father for the same.

"So, you are a doctor now?" my grandpa asked I merely nodded, but I pa responded "He is studying in the best universities in Bangkok" I could hear the pride in his voice also there was a hint of something else – as if he is trying to prove something to my grandpa.

"Humph – still a weakling like you, see how he is – hiding behind his ma" my grandpa snickered while my uncle didn't try to hide his smile.

My pa turned and looked at ma and me, "Come here" he said, I know it would end up bad if I didn't so I slowly went closer to my dad and stood.

I could feel my grandpa's eyes on me "hope you remember the lessons I have thought you" he said, all horrors of those dark days passed before my eyes, and he must have read my face, "Looks like you do, so you will be a good son" he smiled. I just wanted to vanish then and there.

We were at our dinner table "He is just like you, hiding behind his mother all the time" my aunt smiled as she made this comment to my pa, I know it was a casual comment made but I was worried about its effects after so I didn't respond.

My ma jumped in "Kit is here only for the weekend, he has to travel tomorrow evening – he has special class on Monday" I looked at her gratefully, while my father was surprised, he didn't show it in front of his pa. Instead he asked "So, why did you want us here?"

My grandpa cleared his throat "Well, I am handing over business to you guys, and I am coming to stay in Bangkok", what??!! I was numb, this couldn't be happening – I was scared to think what will happen if he is going to stay at our place.

"I will stay with you and your family before I decide my successor" continued my grandpa "I need someone strong and capable – to take over, and I need to confirm who is better" he said, I was too worried to look up from my plate. I was not sure if he meant it towards me or my father – in any case I was now scared even to stay the night.

My phone was buzzing continuously – I know it was Ming, and he must be worried as I haven't texted or called him. I had put it on silent mode and was waiting for this horrible dinner to be over to reply.

Finally they finished their food and talk, which I had no idea what it was and we all went to our rooms. I secured all the doors and windows, doubled checked they were all locked before I went and sat on the bed.

I was such a fool to think I will even remotely get to be happy, I sighed and took my phone out – 43 missed calls and 104 messages.

I called Ming, he answered on first ring "How are you?" was his first question "I don't know" I sighed, somehow hearing his voice was calming me down and at the same time I wanted him next to me, I was missing him like crazy – most of all, I wanted to feel safe.

"I am coming there tomorrow – say anything you want at home, but I am coming there." He said "Your voice is lifeless".

Shit... that would make things worse "No, I am here only for tonight – I am planning to start tomorrow evening and am returning to the dorm".

"Okay" he sounded a bit relaxed "I am stillcoming to pick you up.... Now tell me what happened" and I told him everything.