Chapter 13

The staff room at Brooksdale High was a hive of conversation on Tuesday lunchtime. Two reverse-cycle air-conditioning units pumped hot air into the room with a gentle gushing of air. A group of teachers stood hunched at the kitchenette that ran along one side of the room, while others sat with legs crossed at the tables in the centre of the room.

Ryan sat with Mark and a History Teacher, Donita, in a corner of the room. Each of them had a coffee in one hand and a sandwich in the other.

Donita said, "Adam Lee seemed withdrawn yesterday in class."

Ryan replied, "In English, too. It's unusual for him."

Mark joined the conversation, "He's probably just having girl problems. Not uncommon, you know." Mark grinned and winked at Donita playfully as he continued, "Speaking of which, there is a decided absence of girl trouble in your life at the moment, Ryan."

Ryan felt heat rise in his cheeks. "I'm happy with how things are going, actually."

"And how are they going? Musty old books and back-breaking renovations on your house." Mark leaned back and spread his arms in mock frustration as he spoke, "then there is the wrestling. With other men. That's no way to find a girl." Mark was grinning broadly now.

Donita said, "Hey, that wrestling part doesn't sound too bad." She laughed and drained the last of her coffee. "Time to get back to work boys."

Donita stood up and patted Ryan on the shoulder, "And good luck with the girls, Ryan."

After she was gone, Mark said, "Donita's hot, man. And she's single. You should ask her out."

Ryan replied, "I don't know. Work relationships and all. It never works out well."

Mark's grin faded and he said, "How would you know? You haven't had any."

Ryan had no comeback for that. Mercifully, the conversation was interrupted by the Principal. Janet Heartford walked through the crowd of teachers to where Ryan was sitting.

Janet was in her late thirties and this was her first school as principal. When she took over, there had been some grumbling, but Ryan suspected it was because Janet was so young, which caused jealousies to flare. So far, Ryan had found her to be personable and competent.

Janet spoke, "Ryan, can I have a moment of your time?"

Mark interjected, "Sit here if you like, I was about to head off to class anyway." Mark slipped through the crowded staffroom and disappeared out the door.

Janet sat next to Ryan and got straight to the point, "I had a call from Michael Brooks, Tyler's father. He claims that you allowed another student to threaten his son and that you humiliated Tyler in front of the whole class."

Ryan exhaled audibly. This had not been the first time Ryan had called Tyler out on poor behaviour and earned a complaint from the father.

Ryan explained what had really happened in the class: about Tyler's tardiness, rudeness, and Arkell's response to Tyler's insulting comments.

Janet nodded her understanding and said, "I didn't think Tyler was a complete victim here."

"Do you want to me call Michael Brooks and explain what happened?"

Janet replied, "No. I'll handle it. He was talking about starting an investigation into discrimination against Tyler."

Ryan's jaw clamped tight. Janet continued, "Don't worry. There are no grounds for such an investigation and you're not the only teacher who has dealt with Tyler Brooks and his father. But, it would be better to document any future incidents and let me handle correspondence with the family."

Finished with the conversation, Janet got up and mingled amongst the staff before the school bell signalled the end of lunch. In a matter of seconds, the staffroom emptied, leaving Ryan sitting alone.

He finished his coffee, cold now. Be damned if I'll let myself be bullied by that Michael Brooks.

Ryan left the staffroom and headed for the English Department Office, clenching and unclenching his fists all the way. The more he thought about the accusation against him, the angrier he got.

In the office, Ryan sat before his computer. He opened his e-mail, clicked 'New message', and found Michael Brooks' e-mail address from the School Administration folder, and began to type.

After the first few sentences, Ryan stopped. A line he often told his students when they were fighting with a friend came to the front of his mind: Don't send that message when you're angry.

The office phone rang. Saved by the bell. It was Chris, the Deputy Principal.

"Ryan, I've got a photographer here about the school photos next Wednesday. The regular guy double booked a wedding on that day so he sent his new assistant over. We need someone to show her around and you don't have a class. She's in the reception area."