Chapter 7

Bang. Bang. Bang. Ryan bashed a stake into the dry, hard ground. He was putting up a sign encouraging people to come into the youth centre and sign the petition against the budget cuts.

The roll-clunk of skateboards on the skate park sounded in the background. It was mid-afternoon and the sky had cleared. Still no sign of rain.

"Hey community guy. So, this is how you spend your Sundays?"

Ryan spun around. It was Rebecca Williams. "Jen told me you'd be here. I came to see what I could do to help."

Ryan looked about. "You can grab that board and move it over there."

Bec laughed and it was a delightful sound. She looked vibrant in a wool cap and long winter coat. The cold of June turned the tip of her nose red and it was the cutest thing about her.

Bec said, "I meant help with the online stuff. Social media, a website, photos. Like the modern world."

"Oh, yeah. I don't really have any of that yet."

Bec unslung her camera. "Well, I'm gonna fix that for you. Stand by the skate park and I'll get some photos.

Ryan stood awkwardly in front of the half-pipe while the skaters rolled by.

"Ryan. You have to relax and look happy."

He out his hands in his pockets and Bec told him to take them out. He tried to lean on the half-pipe, but he felt unnatural.

One of the skateboarders came over. "Hey Mr. Anderson. What's happening?"

It was Arkell Green, a Year Eleven student in Ryan's class. His father worked at the meat-packing facility and his mother ran a small coffee shop.

Ryan introduced Arkell to Bec and explained what was happening. As Ryan talked, Bec snapped off a few shots.

"I think I got what I need here. Mind if I look around?"

Bec took a few more shots of the skate park and a few of Ryan working. She had to admit, he was a well-built man. His broad shoulders and winter coat gave him a chiselled look and as he swung the sledge hammer, she was reminded of the old black and white images from 1920s construction sites.

Bec walked into the youth centre. It was an old demountable building. A little plaque at the entrance gave recognition to Thomas Fletcher for donating the building and the Brumfield family for donating the furnishings.

The interior walls were covered with posters of bands, films, and one wall was devoted to graffiti. There was a kitchenette, tables and chairs for studying, a TV and PlayStation, as well as a row of bookshelves filled with comics, graphic novels, and books.

Two reverse-cycle air conditioning units pumped hot air.

Two students, a young man and a young woman, sat at the tables. Their books were open and they were testing each other. Bec introduced herself. The girl spoke first, "I'm Sally and this is Adam."

Bec asked if she could take some photos and the students agreed. While she took photos, Bec asked, "So does everyone study here?"

"No, not everyone," replied Adam. "Some kids watch movies, others play video games. It's mostly good."

Bec said, "Doesn't anyone smoke, or sneak in alcohol? That's what I would have been doing at your age."

Adam and Sally exchanged a look and Bec suddenly felt uncool.

Sally said, "There's a few trouble-makers that try some stuff, but there's always an adult about with the keys. 'No adult, no open' as Mr. Anderson says."

Adam continued, "Yeah. I think the town should trust us a bit more. Kids have to make mistakes to learn."

Bec noticed the two were holding hands under the table. She smiled and thought back to her own teenage romances. Young people did have to learn for themselves, but it was good there were grown-ups around to pick up the pieces.

Bec went outside and saw Ryan again. "I've got enough to get started on a basic website. Can you e-mail me some details for the site? I'll start some social media stuff, too."

Ryan smiled and said, "Sure, but I don't have much of a budget to play with. Everything we get goes to paying bills."

"Cheap it is then," said Bec.

She gave her e-mail to Ryan and he said, "We could meet sometime and talk through what goes on the site."

"I could use the local knowledge. Let's do it."

"How about Thursday evening?"

She had a date with Steven on Thursday night, but she didn't want to tell Ryan that. "I can't then. Wednesday?"

Ryan said, "I've got JiuJitsu on Wednesdays. Tuesday?"

"Sure, see ya then." Bec left the park. It was cold, but she felt warm inside. She didn't plan on being in Brooksdale for long, but while she was here, she might as well help. And besides, having something to do kept her from drinking and worrying about Phil.