chapter xv.

EVERYONE WAS gathered around the furnace; Dr. Carson on his knees in front of Negan. Dwight was standing by the furnace, warming the iron and as I looked up, I saw Eugene standing on the stairs watching.

Negan points Lucille at Eugene, "You, are gonna want to pay close attention to this."

Negan strikes Dr. Carson on the shoulder with Lucille and then again in the stomach when Carson denies ever seeing the letter from Sherry. Everyone jumps, not expecting the sudden abuse and Negans voice booms through the mess hall.

"You're the one who left the door open and let my puppy out. All for Sherry, because you knew she hated him being here." As Negan continues to speak, Carson turns to Dwight.

"It's not true, Dwight, Dwight lied," Carson muttered, barely being able to speak due to the trauma he sustained at his ribs.

"If Dwight's lying, I will burn the other side of his face until he dies. So what would he get out of this?" Negan asks, his voice hoarse.

Dwight pulls the iron out of the furnace and Negan grabs it, moving over to Carson and putting it close to his face. I wanted to protest, to stand up and admit that I had heard Carson and Dwight speaking about how he thought it was Sherry, but it wouldn't change anything.

Carson begs Negan not to burn him and as Negan brings the iron closer and closer to Carson's face. Negan tells him if he admits and apologizes, he won't have to do it.

"Yes, I did it. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Carson begs, and I watch as the man breaks in front of everyone. My heart aches for the man, after everything he's done for Negan and the people of the Sanctuary, including me, this is how he's repaid.

Negan smiles and drops the iron, "That's all you had to say. That is all you had to say." Negan takes a few steps to the left and looks at Eugene before grabbing Carson by the shoulders and throwing him into the furnace.

I watched in horror as Negan held Carson's body into the fire, letting it burn from the waist up. Everyone in the room looked somewhere else than the fire. I watched as Negan walked over to Dwight and rested his hand on his shoulder.

"Good thing we have a spare Dr. Carson. I trust you Dwighty boy, I never should've doubted you." Negan's arm was now hung over Dwight's shoulder as he apologized for Sherry's death.

~

I felt a shaking on my shoulders, the motion taking me away from my sleep. I turned over and Negan was rested on his elbow staring down at me from his side of the bed.

"Morning, darling." He said the tone of his voice revealed that he had been up for awhile. "We're going up to Hilltop today, are you going along?"

"If you aren't going to kill the other Dr. Carson," I said, turning away from him and leaving the bed. I still wasn't happy with him after the Carson incident the other day. I knew for a fact it wasn't him and when I tried to explain that to him, his trust was in Dwight.

"Are you still upset about this?" He asked, obviously missing the whole point of my retaliation to his question.

"You killed our doctor. You know, the one that knew pretty much everything about my pregnancy? The one that knew pretty much everyone's illnesses in this whole sanctuary. He was a vital piece." I told him, heading to the bathroom to brush my teeth.