Unprofessional

The week finished out without anything notable occurring. This was most likely due to the fact that the visits between the Joker and Allison had been reduced as a "mandatory and necessary'' action to ensure her safety. Honestly, though, Allison had never felt more comfortable or safe around anyone other than Jonathon. What was it about this sinister man, who struck fear in the hearts of thousands, that struck something different in Allison's heart? 
         It was Friday, and, as per usual, Allison had buried herself in her work. She was supposed to select which new patient she would take on, now that Crane had been released. There was a list of about 20 new candidate's and she was meant to choose the one she believed needed her help the most. An impossible request. How could they be so shallow as to pass this unfeasible task onto her? How could she turn away innocents who were all desperately in need of her help? If she could, Allison would never leave this place. Never stop working. Never stop caring. 
         But it was the heaviness of her eyelids as they began to surely fall as the hours increased that reminded her that she was human. Humans truly are weak, narcissistic beings. Beings in need of distraction. Allison pushed the files to the side of her mess of a desk. To anyone else it would look like complete chaos, but that's the way she liked it. Only she could understand her convoluted lifestyle. It put here at ease to feel incomparable. 
         She ran her hands through her long, messy, confused curly mess of brown hair atop her head and sighed. Closing her stinging eyes for momentary relief, she saw images of the Joker flash. She found herself smiling as he did. She snapped her eyes open at the thought and her brows furrowed slightly at the rush of happiness she got at the mere thought of him. Her eyes darted to the clock and she managed to convince herself, at least for the moment, that it had merely been the lateness of the hour resulting in her thoughts of J. 
         As it was bordering midnight, Allison had figured she was the last staff member present. As she stepped out of her office into the dimmed halls, she confirmed it to herself. She would most likely spend the night here. This was not unheard of for Allison. In fact, she had practically lived at the institution when she first joined the staff. She had taken her heels off long ago, and now strolled through the empty halls barefoot, the cold linoleum offering the relief she so desired.
         She told herself she was going nowhere in particular; just for a walk. But when she found herself downstairs, standing just before the Joker's cell, she was not surprised. She inhaled deeply and walked over to the bars of his cell, peaking in, silently hoping he was still awake. The scars on the man's face widened as a massive smile spread, and a shocked and glad look hid in his eyes, before being replaced by a smug one. He looked her up and down as he rose from his bed and walked over to her, each step sending shivers down her spine. 
        As their hands met at the bars, they both became breathless. It was clear. There was no denying it. There couldn't be. Their relationship was no longer professional. It never had been.