Chapter 2

It's a small town with not many people. It's hot and the sun is blistering over our backs. We reach the church and go inside. The bell rings and rings for everyone to come. I'm kneeling right now looking down so I don't see Jacob. No matter how hard I try I still see him. That's all thanks to my father. It's not his fault he just wants me to get noticed but I wish it wasn't to Jacob. He has plenty of other ladies my age to look towards. Of course he has to look to me because of my father.

I can talk all day bitter about this but then I see Travis walk in. My face must of gotten red because I can hear my little sister giggling next to me. I think she knows already about Travis. She just keeps her mouth shut because she knows how hurt I am about having to get noticed to Jacob so he asks for my hand in marriage. I sit there the rest of the time listening to the preacher. Once in awhile I glimpse at Travis. Then I hear my father clear his throat very loudly for me to look away. Finally church is over and we head back home.

I go inside the house and on my way up the stairs when I hear my father yell.

"Mariah get down here!"

"Yes father." I say looking down.

One thing I learned is to never look my father in the eye when he is yelling at me.

"Now I told you a thousand times to never ever look at that Travis boy!"

"He's not a boy he's a young man!" I yell back looking into his eyes and I shouldn't have.

"Pardon me but you do not raise your voice at me young lady! Now I do not ever want to see you with or looking at him! You understand?"

"Yes father." I hear in my voice that I'm about to cry.

I run back down the stairs and past my mother and sister standing there. I go straight to the kitchen where Mabel is and a bunch of other lady Negros are preparing dinner for us.

"Why you crying Miss Johnson?" Mabel asks.

"I can't see Travis ever again!" The tears are streaming like rivers down my face.

"Now listen to me you'll see him again trust me."

"No I won't. I can't."

"Miss Johnson, here..." She gives me a piece of paper. "It's from that young man Travis."

I stare blankly at it. My eyes still watering with tears.

"Go ahead open it."

Everyone around me in the kitchen stares at me waiting anxiously for me to open it. I open the piece of paper very carefully. Inside he tells me to meet him by the stream.

"He wants me to meet him near the stream tonight." I say sniffling.

"Are you?" One of the lady Negros ask.

"I don't know." I say looking at the paper.

"What do you mean you don't know? Child listen to me. I see the way you look at each other and you can deny it all you want but I can tell you two are in love."

"So you think I should go?"

"Yes I do. See love isn't easy and you have to work a little harder for it. You have to over come any obstacles that are in your way. Now child you are going to meet Travis no matter what it takes and we are here to help you."

"Thank you Mabel. Alright I'll meet him but I need your help.

"Whatever you need we're here for Miss Johnson."

I smile gleams across my face. Tonight I will meet Travis no matter what happens. I go upstairs and get ready. I tell my sister what I'm doing and give her a nickel to shut her up. I then pray this works.

................................................................

Hey everyone here was chapter 2! chapter 3 will be published June 4.