Chapter 1

My name is Mariah Johnson. It's 1814 and I live on a small plantation farm in the south. We have, what everyone calls them, salves. I hate that word, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. For me they're more like family. I can tell them everything, even my deepest secrets and they don't tell a soul. To my father, Jack Johnson, their just property. It goes the same for my mother, Harriet Johnson. They just don't understand. My six year old sister, Katie-Ann, does. We treat the Negros like family and they do the same. We aren't the only ones. My friend, Travis Patter, thinks they should be just like us.

Me and Travis have been friends since we were young. I wish it would stay like that, but father says I should marry and forget about Travis. I can't think about that. I have this special relationship with Travis. This bond we have no one can explain. Even me nor Travis can.

I meet him everyday in the woods near the plantation. It takes about seven acres of cotton fields to get to it. It's a little after four and I go wait for him in our favorite spot near the stream. It's quiet there and no one bothers us. We sometimes play in the cotton fields. We aren't supposed to though but the Negros promise they won't say anything.

Now a days I'm not even supposed to be with Travis. I still remember those days where we could of done whatever we wanted together. We used to race each other to the big willow tree near the stream and chase each other around like fools in the fields. I miss those days. Father says I have to move on with my life and that means leaving Travis behind.

I could always tell he never liked him. Mother didn't mind. I could tell her I still see him and she wouldn't care. She and Travis's mother are close friends. If I could read minds I know my mother would want me to marry Travis. My father wants me to marry someone he calls descent. I'm my opinion Travis is descent. I know though what father means, he wants me to marry his friend's son, Jacob Boris. I despise him. He reminds me of a snake with his black hair and green eyes.He thinks too much of himself,too. I also know he would just want to marry me because my family has as much money as you could ever want in your lifetime. I have no say though if he asks for my hand in marriage. No girl my age does.

By now Travis comes. I see his brown hair and crystal blue eyes. there are just like mine. He comes closer and I find myself staring into his eyes. It's like I can't seem to look away.

"What's wrong?" Travis asks.

"Nothing. Want to race in the cotton fields like we used to?" I say squinting because the sun's in my eyes.

"Alright, we might as well since we don't have that much time left together."

"Don't say that! We have time and you know it!" I say angry.

"How long Mariah? Your father wants you to get married and that's what young ladies like you are supposed to do!"

"Why are you angry? We have time now don't you waste it." I say staring in his blue eyes.

We walk back up to the cotton fields. He calms down and like years before we have fun. We chase each other around and around trying not to knock over the Negros while they're working. It's all fun until we are both out of breath and stop to talk to Mabel. She is one of the Negros who work here. Time to time she switches from the fields to working in the house, cooking for us and taking care of my little sister. She's like an older sister I never had. I can tell her anything. She keeps her mouth shut too.

"Hey, Mabel." I say.

"Hay is for horses young lady." She smiles.

"Opps I mean hello."

"Now that's better."

Mabel speaks just like us. Exactly like us and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference if she didn't have that Negro accent.

"So what are you doing in the fields? I thought you were going to be with my sister today?" I ask.

"Well I just took myself a little break that's all."

We stay there for awhile until I hear my sister screaming my name. I turn and look at Travis. He knows what to do and runs to the woods and goes home. Meanwhile Katie-Ann comes.

"Mariah, what are you doing here? Mother and father have been looking for you! Your not even supposed to be here!"

"I know. Keep your mouth shut and I'll give you a penny when we get to the house."

"Alright, but what do I tell mother and father?"

"Tell them I was in the barn and I'll give you another penny."

She shakes her head yes and we go back to the house. Outside standing is mother and father.

"Now where were you?" Father asks in a stern voice.

"I was in the barn."

"You were in the barn." His eyes widen. "Alright then. Come on we're late for church."

I feel he didn't believe that. I also completely lost track of time. It must be five by now. We get in the wagon and go down town to church.

................................................................

Hey everyone it's finally here! I hoped you liked it and keep reading. Chapter 2 will be published on May 30.