Chapter 14

They died a couple of hours ago. During sometime in the morning. I wasn't there. Katie-Ann called the doctor when they wouldn't wake up.By the time he got there they were dead. In fact they already have been dead. I'm upset and heartbroken. How could this happen so soon? What did I do? Why did Katie-Ann have to find them?

I promised mother and father that I would look over Katie-Ann and the farm and I will. I go up to my room where Katie-Ann is lying on the bed crying.

"It's alright Katie-Ann I'm sorry I wasn't there."

"It's alright you didn't want to get sick." She looks me straight in the eye. "Am I gonna die like mother and father?"

"No your not."

"Yes I am I have the same disease they had."

"Katie-Ann I will not let that happen trust me. I will try everything to keep you alive."

"What if you can't?"

"Don't say that. Now I have to go see Travis. I'll be right back as soon as I can. Alright?"

"Yes."

I leave and go to Travis's house on my horse to tell him. I can't help but to cry and cry. Now I lose my parents and I might even lose Katie-Ann. I reach his house and wipe my face before I knock.

"Hello Mariah." Travis's mother says.

"Hello is Travis at work?"

"Yes he is why?"

He's been working since his father pasted away and I didn't even think about that until I came.

"I just have to tell him something." i start to tear up.

"Mariah do you want to tell me? Is it your parents?"

"Yes they died." I cry uncontrollably.

"Oh my both?"

"Yes. It's fine though I can manage." I sniffle back the tears.

"I can't believe that. It was just a couple of days that they were sick. I hope it isn't what everyone is gonna get."

"I hope not either." I sound worried.

"Come in maybe we can brighten this up with talking about the wedding."

"Thanks but I should get back to Katie-Ann."

"Alright."

"Wait do you know when Travis is going to ask for my hand in marriage." Before I leave.

"I don't know yet soon very soon."

"Alright close enough thank you."

"Anytime Kate."

I go back to the house and find there's a note from Travis. He wants me to meet him by the willow tree tonight. I go up to Katie-Ann's room which used to be the both of ours now just hers. I will take my parents room. That is after the Negros or myself clean it. I sit there with her and tell her I'm meeting him tonight.

"You are!" She sounds so happy and excited so different from before.

"Yes Katie-Ann."

She bounces on her bed and flops back down. I can't help but laugh.

"Well you better go I don't want you to get sick." Then she pushes me out the door.

.............................................................

I'm sorry everything is messed up with the publishing. Sorry for the mistakes and it being short. Chapter 15 will be published on October 7th.