Chapter 11

A couple more minutes go by. Finally my father calls me down. I slowly walk down the stairs and into the library. He's sitting down and I go stand in front of him. He begins to speak.

"Mariah I know that you didn't mean to hurt me earlier."

"What do you mean hurt you? You were the one who hurt me. Daddy why can't you see I love Travis." I sound kinda pathetic.

"Now don't do that daddy thing. Listen I see you love him but he's not good for you." Father coughs a horrible cough before continuing. "You need someone that can support you."

"I know father you said that before."

"Exactly so listen." He coughs again.

"Are you alright father?"

"Yes just a little cold that's all."

"Father I have one question."

"What Mariah?"

"What if Travis asked you if he was allowed to ask for my hand in marriage what would you say?"

He looks at me. "I don't know. Now you can leave I still have to think."

There's a knock at the door. It's mother.

"May I come in?"

"Yes dear." Father says. "We are just finishing up."

She comes in and has a bowl of soup in her hands. She gives it to father. I leave the room. Why does father need soup when it's just a little cold. Mother never does that for a little cold only for a large but not lethal one. I go to my room and close the door.

I ask Katie-Ann if she knows if father has a cold.

"Yes but he said it was little but I don't think it's little."

"Me either. I just hope mother and us aren't gonna get it." I say worried.

"I know I hope not."

Me and my sister get ready for bed. And I turn out the candle light. I wake up tomorrow and get dressed. I go downstairs for breakfast. Everyone is down there and already eating. Eventually mother speaks so it's not so quiet.

"There's a lot to do and I need someone to walk Katie-Ann to school so Mariah dear may you?"

"Yes mother."

Me and my sister finish and go up stairs. She fixes her hair while I write another note for Travis. I then go near the mirror and happen to look down. I see the necklace that was for me from Jacob. One of the Negros were probably told to put it on my desk. I'm not wearing it not until I have no choice.

...........................................................

Sorry it's short and if there are any mistakes. Chapter 12 will be published August 11.