Chapter 5

I finish my lunch. I wait in my room the rest of the day until supper. I go down stairs and wait quietly at the table. I know my father is gonna yell up a storm when he finds out I didn't want to open the door to Jacob. I just have to ignore it. I also have to be careful on what I say I need to meet Travis. I want to know what that surprise is and whether it's good or bad.

Mother, father, and Katie-Ann come. Supper arrives and we eat quietly until my mother says something that I wished she shouldn't of.

"Jack, today when you were out in the barn Jacob came over like you said he would today..."

"And?" Father asks.

"Mariah didn't want to open the door to him. I told her to a bunch of times..."

"Mother please." I beg.

"Don't you dare interrupt!" Father says tensely.

"When she finally did she slammed that door as hard as she could and didn't give one thought about it."

"Is that true? Mariah once you are done with supper and you have put your dishes in the sink me and you are going to have a little talk alright." Father says calmly.

"Aright." I say. "What have I gotten myself into." I think.

I take my dishes to the Negros and meet up with Mabel.

"Mabel listen I got to meet Travis tonight now I might need your help again." I whisper.

"Alright Miss Johnson, we'll help."

I go meet my father in the reading room next to the dinning room. I close the door carefully behind me so it doesn't slam. He notions me to sit and I do.

"Listen Mariah, I know it's hard. Now I know you don't love him but he's a good man. He'll make sure you get everything in the world. Can't you see that?"

"Father I know you want what's best for me and I know you want me to marry him but I can't. I know this is crazy but I think I love someone else."

"Someone else? You think you love this young man? Now tell me who he is."

"Well..."

"Don't tell me it's that boy Travis." He voice begins to raise at an extreme rate.

"Father listen he's not a boy he's a young man. I just don't understand why you can't see that."

"Don't see it? Mariah there's nothing to see. He won't be able to take care of you! He doesn't have enough money to get you what you want in life!"

"What I want? You don't know what I want do you?"

"Well I guess not. Tell me then."

"What I want is to have someone that will love me. No matter how much money I have or how pretty I am. I want someone who will love me for me. Not because my father has money!"

"That's not true Jacob doesn't want you for money."

"Yes it is but you just can't see it."

I run out the room and go to the kitchen. Mabel is there and I start to talk about my plan on how I will escape tonight.

We agree on a plan and I go upstairs and get ready. I give my sister another nickel. By the time this is all over I'll be broke.

"Why you leaving again?" My sister asks.

"I'm gonna meet Travis. Now please keep your mouth down." I whisper.

"Alright." She whispers back. "You love him don't you?"

"I don't know Katie-Ann."

"You should. I like Travis more than Jacob. I trust him better." She looks at me I know what she's saying she means it.

"Of course you do. You've known him your whole life."

"Good luck Mariah."

"Thank you Katie-Ann."

I head out to go meet Travis.

...............................................................

Sorry for the mistakes. Chapter 6 will be published June 27.