Chapter 6

I go down my usual way, down the stairs and into the kitchen. I then sneak out the kitchen door and go through the cotton fields. I reach the woods and wait there for Travis. It's not long after that he comes. He's carrying something and it looks like a box. A box of what?

"Whatcha got there Travis?"

"Nothing much just thought I should should show you this." He opens the box and inside is a necklace.

"What's that?" I ask.

"It's a replica of the one Jacob is gonna give you tomorrow."

I start to tear up. "Why? I hate him. I don't want to marry him."

"Mariah you know you have no choice if...."

"I know."

"Listen he's not that bad. On the bright side he'll get you what ever you want."

"The only reason he will do that is so I'm happy but I will never be with him."

"Well I thought you should know. I have to go Mariah. I'll see ya tomorrow."

"Bye Travis." I head back home.

I go inside and go up to my room. My little sister is still awake.

"What are you doing up?"

"I thought I should wait for you."

"Well there's nothing to wait for."

"Why did you have to meet Travis?"

"He wanted to show me the necklace Jacob is giving me tomorrow."

"A necklace?"

"Yes a necklace."

"Do you want the necklace?"

"No why?"

"Good I wouldn't want it either. I don't get why you can't marry Travis. I like him." She says as she twists her bed sheet.

"I know you like Travis but if Jacob asks for my hand in marriage you know I have to marry him."

"I know so why don't Travis ask first."

"What do you mean?"

"Why doesn't Travis ask you to marry him?"

"I don't think he loves me back."

"Well I think he does."

I sit and think about that for awhile. What if Travis asks for my hand in marriage. I wouldn't be able to say no or yes. It's just simply yes. I think that good work. If only I knew if Travis loved me back. I should ask him but when? I can't that's when. Travis would have to ask my father for permission anyway and he would say no. It is worth a try.

"How come you think Travis is in love with me?"

"He's the one who wants to meet ya all the time."

"Anything else?"

"He still hasn't stopped seeing you. He has been with you your whole life. Also I see the way he looks at you."

"What do you mean you have seen the way he looks at me?"

"I kinda sneak in the woods to spy on you." She smiles.

"Come on Katie-Ann we have to go to sleep."

...............................................................

Hey everyone sorry it's a day late I kinda forgot. Also I'm sorry for the spelling errors. chapter 7 will be published July 7.