Chapter 8

We stay there quietly and until he leaves. Finally he does and when I look up I see he's leaving in the direction of our house. No this can't be happening not yet. We leave in a hurry but not too fast because we don't want to get close to their wagon. He can't be going to my house. Wait if I'm not there then he can't ask or can he? No he can't.

I grab Katie-Ann's arm and we go into the woods. I show her my favorite spot to distract her. I show her the stream and the big willow tree which is so pretty this time of year that you wouldn't be able to explain. I tell her how quiet it always is. I also tell her this is where I meet Travis all the time.

"So this is the spot huh?"

"Yeah Katie-Ann, this is it."

"So you don't meet at a special place like a restaurant or anything?"

"No why would we do that?"

"I don't know I was just thinking of ideas. So you think Jacob is gonna ask?"

"I don't know but if by tonight I meet Travis I'm gonna ask if he loves me too and if he doesn't then I have no choice but to marry Jacob."

"We should be getting back if anything happens you can just run into the woods."

"Alright let's go back." I start to trudge to the house.

I feel every nerve in my body start to shake and quiver. I feel my arms twitch and fear sink into my bones. I don't want this to happen not now and not ever. We reach the house and we sneak in through the kitchen door. I go up the secret back steps and into my room. First I peek over the rail. I see Jacob and my father talking. Jacob then shows my father the necklace. My father shakes his head in reply. Jacob ask a question and my father shakes his head yes and laughs while patting Jacob in the back.

I wonder what he said. I sneak into my room and quietly close the door. I wait for a couple of minutes until it's lunch time. My sister and me get called down to eat. I see Jacob has left and I sit down quietly. We eat until my father begins to speak.

"Mariah, Jacob and his family are coming over to have dinner with us."

I sit there looking down at my food with no response.

"Mariah did you hear your father?" Mother asks.

"Yes mother."

I ask to be excused and go back to my room. No more then a few minutes Mabel comes.

"What's wrong? That Jacob got you upset again."

"No it's just..." I stop.

"Just what?"

"It's just I came up with a plan that if I asked Travis if he loved me then he could ask for my hand before Jacob."

"Well there's still time. Listen tonight Jacob isn't gonna ask for your hand. You see he wants his parents to approve you. He just gonna give you that necklace tonight that's all. So you still have time."

"But I'm supposed to meet Travis tonight during dinner."

"You still can. Ask to use the outhouse. Then take off your shoes to show your still there even though your not and run into the cotton fields. Someone should be there in the fields with another pair of shoes for you."

"Alright, thank you so much." I give Mabel a hug.

I wait in my room until dinner. Hours go by and finally there's a knock at the door. It's Jacob and his family. I wait upstairs in agony and nervousness. I pray this plan works. This is the first time I have deceived my parents like this. I wait to be called down for dinner. Finally I hear my mother call me down. This is it.

...............................................................

Sorry it's late chapter 9 will be published on July 22.