Chapter 12

We start down the road and reach town. We go a little further down to the school house. I'm glad I don't have to go anymore. It was always a pain. I then walk to Travis's house. I knock on the door. Travis answers.

"Hello Mariah I knew you would come."

"Hello Travis I'm sorry about what happened."

"It's alright Mariah."

"Here." I hand him the note."Meet me again at the stream I need to talk to you about something really important. Something I didn't get to tell you yesterday."

"Alright Mariah I was thinking about that kiss we had."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I was about to say that I didn't mind it. Actually I liked it."

"Oh really?" I say surprised.

"I guess I love you Mariah Johnson."

"I love you too Travis Patter."

We are about to kiss when we hear a wagon. He pulls me inside and closes the door. We wait until we hear it leave. Then we open the door again. I go to leave but Travis pulls me back and kisses me on the cheek. I feel my face turn bright red and hear him laugh.

"It's not funny!"

"Yes it is so I guess you really do love me."

"Of course I do. I got to go. I have to get stuff in town and then wait for my sister."

"Alright bye."

"Bye."

I leave and go into town, grab the stuff I need then I wait for Katie-Ann. She comes out and we go home. We reach the house and go inside. We hear the worse coughing anyone could hear. I go to mother and father's room. They're both sick and coughing up a storm.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes dear we fine just a little sick. Now you go along we don't want you to get what we have and tell Katie-Ann the same." Mother says.

"Yes Mariah we're fine." Father says after.

I leave and go to our room. It's not too long before she asks if they are alright.

"Kate they're fine." I say worried.

"You have never called me Kate since I was little something is wrong."

"Mother and father are sick."

"I'm going to help them."

"No! Katie-Ann I don't want you getting sick and mother and father said not to."

"What if something happens?"

"What do you mean? Nothing is going to happen."

"Yes what if they..." She stops.

"They're not." I give her a hug.

Later on we go to dinner. Mother and father aren't there. It's quiet and lonely. I don't know what to do or say. I can't picture not being without my parents even though me and father don't get along. It won't be the same for Katie-Ann she can't go through that. What if something happens what will I do? I can't take care I myself let alone Katie-Ann as well.

I go take care of the animals and everything else and come back. The doctor is there and pulls me aside. This can't be good.

"Mariah what your parents have I can't explain. I have never saw it like this or anything like it. I don't think they will make it. I'm sorry just respect what they want."

"I will." I say shocked.

How? How can this happen? Is this what I get for not listening to father? I go up to their room. I don't know if they know or not so I won't say anything.

"Hello Mariah we know now we need you to be strong for Katie-Ann and you'll be the one taking everything over." Father says.

"Mariah it's alright we'll be fine. We'll go to a better place."

"I know but how could this happen?"

"Now don't tell your sister I don't want her hanging on us and getting sick as well." Mother says.

"I won't."

"Mariah I know all my life I planned for you to marry Jacob but if he's not the one you love then you don't have to. If you want to marry Travis that's fine as well. He's a good boy I mean man and he'll be able to help you. You know it takes a person to have their last moments to realize what truly is right. I'm sorry Mariah."

"It's alright father." I feel the tears coming.

"Go take care of your sister." Fathers says.

I leave and to our room. She's on the bed crying I guess the doctor told her.

"You said they would be fine!"

"Because that's what I thought. Listen we can do this. Everyone loses their parents it's just a way of life."

"Yes but why so early?"

"The only thing I can say is because of god."

She cries and cries and I tell her I have to leave. I sneak out and go see Travis. I run through the fields and into the woods. He's there and I tell him my parents are dying and that he has to tell my father that he wants to marry me that is if he wants to.

"Of course I do Mariah."

"Alright we can't waste any time sorry to rush this but you have to come to my house now." I pull his arm to come.

"How I don't even have a ring."

"You don't need one now my father said that he allows me to marry you all you have to do is ask."

"Alright."

..............................................................

Sorry for the mistakes. Chapter 13 will be published on August 28.