Chapter 13

We reach the house and go inside. I drag Travis up to my parents' bedroom. I knock on the door. Nothing. I panic and knock a little louder. Finally I hear a voice.

"Who is it?" Father asks.

"It's Mariah."

"Alright come in."

I motion Travis to wait and walk in.

"Father you know how you said that I can marry who ever I want. Well I brought Travis here. He wants to ask you something."

"I knew you would bring him as soon as I told you." Father smiles. Mother follows.

I walk back out and bring Travis in with me this time.

"Hello sir." Travis says nervously and it's kinda funny but I don't laugh or giggle.

"Hello Travis. Now I know my daughter, Mariah, loves you and I recon you feel the same."

"Yes sir." I can tell he's very very nervous. Father can too I see it in his face.

"Listen you can relax I'm not gonna bit your head off. Now your probably here to ask if it's alright to ask for my daughter's hand in marriage and it's fine. "

"Thank you Mr. Johnson." Travis says.

I'm so excited. Now all Travis has to do is get a ring and ask me before Jacob does. That can't be too hard. We leave before we get sick. Then I hear my sister coughing. I rush down the hall and into out room.

"Katie-Ann you alright. You better of not been with mother and father."

"I'm sorry but I had to and the doctor says I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes he gave me medicine and everything."

"Alright." I leave with Travis.

We go to the woods. I'm so happy. We lay down and just sit there next to each other. We look at the sun setting and all I can think about is us together.

"Mariah if I get you a ring it's not going to be as fancy as Jacob's would of been."

"It's fine you don't need a fancy ring."

"Yeah and I don't got a lot of money."

"I'm getting money my parents are dying and I get the money and the farm from them." I say a little flustered and upset.

Travis doesn't know exactly what to say to that so he tries his best. "Sorry about your parents."

"It's fine it happens sooner or later."

Travis leaves to give me space. I wait at the stream awhile remembering all the times with my parents and with Katie-Ann. I start to cry. I'm balling my eyes out. I can't hold it in and I can't do this by myself. Mother and father were right earlier. I'm not ready and I don't think I'll ever be. I walk down to Travis's house. I knock on the door.

"Hello Mariah. Why are you here so late?" Travis's mother asks after she answers the door.

"Well I was wondering if I can some of your extra blankets. Then I can stay in a cave near by and not get sick. You know since Travis wants to marry me and all." I try to smile but it's not working.

"What? Travis wants to marry you? Oh how wonderful! Yes here." She runs and grabs me a couple blankets.

"Thank you."

"Anything for my future daughter in law. So your parents are sick?"

"Yes."

"Well that's terrible. I'm sorry. You don't have to be they'll be fine." I smile brushing it off not saying that they're going to die. "I better go then."

"Alright dear goodbye." She says and I hear the door shut.

I leave and go to the cave near the stream. It's not too far from the house but far away enough that I won't get sick. I wish I could of brought Katie-Ann but she was coughing. I sleep there the whole night worrying and crying at some points but eventually I fall back asleep over and over again.

I wake up and go back to Travis's house. Travis answers.

"Hello Mariah. Or should I say Mrs. Patter."

"Don't mess it up already. We don't know that. Jacob can ask before you."

"Nope I have the ring already."

"Really?"

"Yes I made it out of the stems of roses but I trimmed down the thorns so they don't hurt."

"That's fine it's probably really pretty. Oh before I forget here." I hand him the blankets. "Your mother gave them to me because I slept in the cave so I didn't get sick."

"Alright well you better get going. Your parents and sister must be worried about you."

"Alright bye." I say and leave.

I walk back to the house and go inside. All the Negros are crying and the doctor is there. I'm scared for the worst possible outcome. That my parents are dead.

..............................................................

Sorry it's a day late and for the mistakes chapter 14 will be published September 11. Remember to comment and vote!