Chapter Eight: William Spears

I was surprised that Shiloh was still sitting with us, because even with the new uniform she looked a hundred times cooler than the three of us combined. She prodded my shoulder in last period History.

"Hey, you okay?"

I looked up with a start, feeling the soreness of my face as it was forced out of a frown I had only just realised I was in. I nodded, looking behind me to where Lola sat in the back row, and back to Shiloh.

"Yeah..."

"Is this about the girl that killed herself?" She whispered loudly, and I cringed and looked around to see if anyone had heard.

"Be quiet," I said with a pointed look. "It was her funeral yesterday."

Shiloh gave a silent 'oh', and went back to her work, for which I was grateful. Pushing for more information would've meant trying to explain everything in breathless whispers, which I wasn't sure I had the physical or mental stamina for.

After class, I headed straight to my locker to get my physics notes for the weekend. I closed my locker door, and found Will leaning against the one beside me. I looked behind him to where the girl who had a locker next to me scowled, and I gave him a reproachful glare.

"You're in the way."

Will craned his head and muttered an apology, shoving himself off of the locker. I turned, shouldering my satchel, giving him the blankest stare I could muster, and pushed past him. He kept pace with me, following me as I hurried down the stairs and stepped out onto the courtyard.

"Wait, Sarah," he said, though I didn't stop. My pace quickened to a march, desperate for him to give up and get lost.

"Sarah, I wanted to check up on you, to see-"

I whirled around, a few metres from the edge of the school grounds, and stomped over to where he stood.

"To see if I was okay?" I scoffed, shrugging my satchel higher on my shoulder, "I'm not your girlfriend anymore, Will. I don't need you to protect me. If you have to satisfy the need to fulfil your masculine duties then go find someone else to inflict it upon other than your ex, okay?"

Will looked back at me, shocked and hurt, and I turned around, ignoring the pang of guilt in my chest as I marched off to the Tube station.