Summer

I walk into the big school expecting to be scared but instead I couldn't care less. I didn't want to be here, not today. Not ever. It didn't help that I had math next. A new school and everyone would tell that I was stupid. I walk into the school and sit down randomly. The teacher walks in about a second later and her grump face only worsens my mood. She puts us into groups of two to meet new people since I'm not the only new kid. I get stuck with a little miss sunshine. Apparently she's also a newbie.

"Hi! I'm Summer!"

Even her name was sunny and her voice was happy.

"Veronica but call me V, I hate my name"

She only smiles wider and nods. We end up talking, getting to know each other and find that I actually don't hate this Summer girl. She tells me she has gone to many schools because of her dads job but she doesn't tell me what his job is. She says she doesn't really make friends but he will be staying here long so will try this time. She smiles way too much. I tell her too little. My name, age, I can speak Spanish, I hate school. That's it. Why should I include my life story? It's just basically me trying to not to stand out.

"Well I wish I could speak another language. You think you could teach me?"

I think this over. This would mean more time with summer. This would mean her thinking we are friends. I don't want a friend, especially her. She's way too cheery and happy. I'm that type of person who usually has a straight face. It's all because of highschool. My third year and I'm still not enjoying it.

"Sure. Why not?"

"YAY!"

She hugs me and I take a moment before I awkwardly hug back. She scribbles her number in my notebook and turns around to pay attention to the class. I'm baffled. What did I just do? Now I will have to spend my valuable time teaching a girl Spanish.

---------------------------------------------

The rest of the day is just summer following me like a lost puppy. Trying hopelessly to start a conversation. Now here she is and coincidently she takes the same bus as me. Oh joy! This times she just hands me a headphone and I'm happy ill just have to deal with her probably happy music. I'm surprised by the song that pops up. "Ignorance" by paramore. I ask to see all her songs and see a collection of rock, rap, and a few catchy pop songs. Most of which I love. When at my stop I got off and said bye. I went inside wondering, could summer really be my friend?