Broken

Maya's POV

"What do you mean 'it's broken'?" I ask the doctor.
"When you slipped, you must've rolled it, and when it slammed on the ground, it shattered," she explains.
"Oh my goodness," my mom says quietly.
"We'll get you an air cast, that way you can take it off when you shower. But other than that, it will have to stay on at all times," the doctor instructs.
"I can't even take it of when I sleep?"
"Unfortunately, no. It'll be uncomfortable to sleep in at first, but you'll get used to it after a few days."
"How long will she be in the cast?" my mom asks.
"Let's say around eight weeks for now, you'll have to get it checked every few weeks. It could be more than eight, it could be less."
"Okay," I say.
I really hope it's less, I'm already dreading all my friends finding out.
"I'll go get you a cast and a pair of crutches," the doctor says, interrupting my thoughts.
• • •
The doctor comes back with a big gray boot, and a pair of crutches. She puts the boot on my foot. It goes from my toes, to just under my knee. It's really uncomfortable, especially because my ankle is swollen, so the boot feels tight.
I test the crutches out by hobbling around the room. They are a good height, but they're gonna take some to get used to. I have no clue how I'm supposed to carry my books around, or even just get around all day at school. My right leg is already tired from hopping.
The doctor tells us some more about my ankle, and the do's and don'ts and stuff. I don't pay too much attention. All I can think is I have to spend EIGHT WEEKS in this stupid cast.
After that, the doctor tells us we're good to go. Finally. It's like 3:15 now, we were there for like four hours. I'm starving. I realize that I haven't had lunch yet.
We go out into the cold parking lot, and get in the car. My stomach growls loudly.
"You hungry, babygirl?" my mom asks.
"Just a little," I tell her, even though I think I'm gonna die of starvation.
"Okay, how about I find an In and Out, and we can get some lunch."
We go to the restaurant, order our food, and sit down. Mom carries both our meals, obviously.
Before I begin to eat, I say, "I'm sorry, mom."
"For what honey?"
"I'm sorry because now you'll have to pay medical bills and stuff you shouldn't have to pay. I know they're probably really expensive."
"Oh Maya, you know that ever since I married Shawn, we've had a lot more money than before. That'll cover all those hospital bills just fine."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm sure."
"I'm still sorry that I fell, I should've been more careful." She'd better not find out I was running.
"It's not your fault! I know how upset you are about this whole thing happening."
I nod.
We finish our food and leave. When we sit down in the car, my mom seems to be waiting for me to say something.
"What?" I ask her.
"Why were you walking home so early?"
"Oh, ummm I had a really sore throat and stuff, so I told my friends I was going to go home early," I lie. I can't tell her about Charlie threatening me and all that— at least not right now.
"You didn't go to the nurse?"
"Oh mom, you know that my school's nurse doesn't even care to make you feel better, she just sends you home."
"Hmm, true," she says.
The car becomes silent, so I decide to turn on the radio. Sign of the times comes on, that song is so beautiful.
"Do you want to go over to Riley's and tell her what happened?" my mom asked.
"I think I'll wait until tomorrow, my ankle is killing me so I just want to rest it."
"Okay then, let's go home."

A/N
Hi guys!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'm really proud of it.
Also, today my internet friends Lee and Jackie met Sabrina! THEY SPENT LIKE AN HOUR MAKING CANDY CANES WITH HER😱😭😍
Anyway, the next chapter will probably be another Lucas POV woo😂
-Shawna