John F. Kennedy: An Unfinished Life: Ch. 11

Chapter 11

Location: Dallas Texas

Character: Kerry Kennedy

Day: November 20, 2013

Time: 6:17 pm

It was complelty dark outside, Kerry could note. She used her instincts and led the way toward Parkland Hospitial. Her eyes glittered in the dark, wondering what she was doing and why.

Her mother trudged behind her, looking nervously at the crowds that had surged into Parkland. Murmurs spread quicky when they noticed Kerry and Ethel. People stared at them as if they were aliens.

I wonder what they're afraid of, Kerry mused silently. Us or someone else?

Two secret service agents were guarding the entrance to the door of the Hospital. They moved away as Kerry and Ethel stepped into the enterance.

The agent spoke coldly. "Seventh floor, mam's."

Kerry nodded. She led her mother to the elevator and jammed her fist into the seventh button.

Halfway up, Kerry started to feel a knot in her stomach. She swallowed hard as the elevators came to stop. The door beeped and Kerry helped her mother out.

The hallway was dark. Kerry would have tripped over her own feet had she not noticed where she was going. She noticed a door at then end of the hallway. Ethel caught up with her.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Sh," snapped Kerry. "I hear voices."

"Of course you do. It's a hospitial."

"Mom, be quiet."

Ethel reared back in shock. Kerry had never talked to her that way. Kerry was usually quiet.

Kerry ignored the silence. She pulled the doorknob in her hand. The door clicked and unlocked under her hand.

She pushed the door open, giving a small satisfied grin of pleasure. She glanced at her mother. The grimness had vanished from her eyes, replaced by a sparkle of light.

She thought she heard breathing and she turned around to see who it was. A young woman sat in a leather chair. Her forearms rested on the handlebars. She looked up as Ethel and Kerry approached.

"Shhh," the woman said, glancing at her patient. "He's asleep."

"Who's asleep?" Kerry asked, tilting her head to the side.

The woman looked down. Her eyes didn't meet eye contact with either of the Kennedys.

"Follow me," she said simply. "You'll probably start screaming because of this fact. So follow me to floor eight."

Kerry nodded. She followed the woman with Ethel on her tail. They got on the elevator and Kerry asked, "Will the patient be alright?"

"He will," the woman assured them. "I'm Maria, by the way."

Kerry smiled back. She squeezed Maria's hand in a greeting. "I'm-"

"Everyone knows who you are," Maria cut her off. "Don't waste your breath."

Kerry nodded again but her stomach was churning with boiling curiosity as they went into the eighth floor. She looked at Maria who straightened up.

"All right," Maria began. She stared into Kerry's eyes. "Remember to keep your voice down. The people can hear you."

"Why is there a massive crowd outside?" Ethel wanted to know.

Maria averted her eyes. "Well..." She rubbed her eyes.