John F. Kennedy: An Unfinished Life: Ch. 12

Chapter 12

Location: Parkland Hospital

Character: Caroline Kennedy

Day: Novemeber 20, 2013

Time: 6:49 pm

I opened my eyes to see Kerry standing over me. I had fallen asleep on the chair next to my father's beside.

Kerry had her arms crossed, her face was also pale and her cheeks were a dark red. She stared down at me, her expression somber.

I glanced at Father. He had fallen asleep. His right arm was draped over his chest. He looked peaceful and innocent in his sleep. He didn't even twitch when Kerry opened the door.

"I'll take care of him," she said without even glancing at me. "You can leave."

I yawned through clenched teeth. "I'm fine, Kerry. Honest to God."

There were dark circles under the Kennedy's eyes. She looked grim, hard and angry. "I said-"

"Caroline?"

I whipped my head back and noticed Father was awake. His piercing eyes stared at me. He still looked tired.

"Go back to sleep," I said, keeping my eyes on Kerry, who glared into my eyes. "This is between me and Kerry."

"No," she replied. "This is between all of us." She stared into Father's eyes. "Including you, Uncle."

I noticed Father jerk back as if he'd been slapped. Kerry sat down on one of the chairs, cracking her knuckles.

Father stared at us, while watching Kerry crack her knuckles. I could tell Kerry was getting on his nerves.

"Who are you?" Father asked, breathing softly. His eyes were wide with curiosity.

Kerry smiled, still cracking her knuckles. "You don't remember me?" She asked in mock hurt. "I was one of the eleven daughters of Robert F. Kennedy." She paused, her eyes glittering. "That was until he died."

"Kerry?" Father titled his head. The interested look in his eyes had faded, replaced by a look of pain and agnoy. "I'm sorry about Bobby. It was my fault." He looked at me for an explanation but I was too tired and was biting my lips together.

Kerry didn't look angry. She was quiet and grim. Her pale eyes stared back at Father and she said simply, "No it was Shirhan-Shirhan." She paused again before adding, "The bastard took away everything I loved."

It was quiet. Outside the roar of the crowd shrieked and pounded their fists together. I glanced at Father who sighed before running his palms across his legs.

"I'm going out there," he declared, standing up. He grit his teeth agaisnt the pain and even as I protested, Father pushed me gently away.

"They have to know," he said simply.

"Know?" I sneered. "They tried to kill you. They hated you. This must be an act. Dallas still hates you, Father. Don't fall for this crap."

"That was 50 years ago," he exclaimed. "They could have changed by now, Caroline! Everyone deserves redemption!"

I threw my head back and laughed. It sounded stupid. "50 years change nothing. A 100 years change a city completly."

"I'll be fine," he repeated. "There are agents out there, aren't they? They could protect me."

I laughed again. "Clint Hill would say no to this."

"Duh," Kerry snapped back. She glanced back at Father. "I would listen to Caroline. She's not as dumb as she looks."