7

Harry was listening to Tom, who suddenly seemed to be very distressed. 'Oh, for God's sake – who can help me? I need a body, otherwise I can't do anything. I hate this life. Why couldn't I have died instead of leading such a life?'

'Tom? Can you hear me? Tom, what's wrong?' Harry thought back anxiously, not sure if Tom was speaking to him at all and if he'd be able to talk to his friend, as he had never started a conversation so far but had only replied when Tom had addressed him.

'Harry? I'm sorry for rambling like that. I just got your happy feelings and as happy as I'm for you, I began to think about my own situation. Something happened to me, and I'm only a spirit now. I need a new body, and I don't know where to get one.'

Harry could not understand what Tom meant. 'A spirit? Are you like one of the ghosts at Hogwarts?' he asked curiously, thinking about Peeves and Nearly-Headless Nick.

'No Harry, they have bodies, right? You can see them. I'm only a spirit; if you wanted to see me, I'd be like a white mist,' Tom explained, patiently. 'I'll tell you the truth, but it's sad. Can you promise not to hate me afterwards? I'm good now, and it was the purity of your heart that rid me of the evil I once had in me.'

'Tom, I'm sorry, I don't really understand,' Harry replied in confusion. 'Did you do something bad before? And now you won't do bad things anymore? I promise you're my friend now, and I won't hate you.' Harry slightly flinched, as his head had begun to hurt badly. 'Strange, it always hurts when I talk to Tom; is he doing something to me?' he wondered.

Tom began to tell his story. 'I grew up in a children's home because I didn't have parents who loved me, just like you don't have parents. I hated it there, and Hogwarts was my first real home. But the headmaster forced me to return to the children's home every year during the summer holidays - just like Dumbledore wants you to go back to your relatives.' He paused a moment. 'Are you still listening, Harry?'

'Yes,' Harry thought back, gripping his head in pain.

'Anyway, I turned evil; I became very bad and did bad things…'

'What kind of things?' Harry asked worriedly, thinking about how Dudley had chased him around the house, causing him to fall down the stairs more than once.

'I killed people, Harry, I'm so sorry,' Tom began to sob, 'I even killed your parents. Wait, Harry, let me explain! Dumbledore made up a prophecy; at least I now believe that he made it up, that you were the only one who could kill me. I was very powerful, and Dumbledore was afraid of me, because he wanted to remain the most powerful wizard in the world. The prophecy is what made me decide to go after your parents and you. I gave you the scar that's on your forehead, and it's why we can communicate like this. Please believe me that I'm very sorry now. I didn't know love, only hate. But you! You gave me lots of love through our link, and you brought out the good in me and rid me of the evil I had in me. I promise you that I'm not evil anymore.'

When Harry didn't react, Tom asked concerned, 'Harry, are you still my friend? Please!'

'I'm sorry, Tom, yes, it's just that I have such a bad headache, like I always get when I talk to you, but I think it gets worse the more we talk. I'll try to forgive you if you're really good now. Can I help you somehow?'

'Then let's continue our talk at a later time, I don't want you to feel bad because you're speaking with me. Just call me in the morning when you feel better. You only have to think of me and speak in your mind like you're doing now, and I'll be able to hear you.'

'All right, night Tom,' Harry replied hesitantly. 'I have so many questions but it just hurts too much right now,' he thought and unintentionally let out a small groan before he suddenly became aware of Minerva calling his name.