12

"Poisoned?" Minerva shrieked horrified, looking at the child curled up under the blanket, shivering. "But…"

"I have no idea how this happened, Minerva," Poppy answered, trying to stay calm. "I have to take a blood sample and ask Severus to examine it. Let's hope that he finds out quickly what poison it is, so that he can brew an antidote." With a few professional movements she gently, with a well-practiced hand magically withdrew few drops of blood from Harry's right arm into a small potions phial, which she immediately took to the fireplace and shouted, "Severus Snape's quarters."

Five minutes later, Poppy returned. "Severus is analysing the blood sample now. We'll probably need to cancel at least his morning classes today. I'm sorry Minerva; I have to take Harry with me since he needs constant monitoring."

"I'm going with Harry," Minerva replied determined. "I'll ask Remus to take my classes. He was very good in Transfiguration, so it shouldn't be a problem. As soon as I'm dressed, I'll come to the hospital wing." She turned to Harry. "Harry, Aunt Poppy is going to take you to the hospital wing, and Uncle Severus will brew a potion to help you feel better as soon as he can. I'll be with you in a few minutes."

With an effort, Harry opened his eyes just a little and mumbled, "Okay Mummy," before his eyes closed again automatically.

The two ladies exchanged a worried glance, before Poppy scooped up the still too light child into her arms and took him through the Floo to the hospital wing. Minerva followed them ten minutes later and sat down at Harry's bedside, putting his stuffed dragon into his arms.

Harry felt absolutely awful. 'What's wrong with me?' he thought frightened, cuddling his dragon close. 'It feels as if my whole inside was on fire while it's icy cold outside.' Suddenly he felt an icy hand on his cheek and something cold was pressed against his mouth before he could hear his godmother's quiet voice, "Please swallow, Harry; this will hopefully help you feel better." Only seconds later, he felt the urge to sick up, glad that Poppy still was at his side and helped him to sit up and get rid of the potion.

"Minerva, you have to try to cool him down with a cold cloth; I need to get everything together to get the potion directly into his blood stream the muggle way," Poppy told her friend in exasperation.

Harry felt something cool on his face when Minerva carefully whipped his face, whispering to him in a soft voice. "Hold on for a bit Harry, sweetie, I know that you don't feel well. Try to sleep for a while; I'm right here with you."

'Oh, that's good,' Harry thought and lazily mumbled, "Feels good, thanks Mummy."

A few minutes later, Poppy came back, "Harry, this might be slightly uncomfortable, but I want to get the potion directly into your blood stream so that it won't come out immediately," she gently explained to the child, and Minerva's face turned white when she saw Poppy inserting a large needle into Harry's left arm. Minerva watched as Poppy removed the needle and left small tubing behind that was connected to a bag of fluid that slowly flowed into her son's arm.

'It doesn't hurt, it feels cool,' Harry thought gratefully. A few minutes later, he fell asleep and Minerva and Poppy noticed his breathing evening out. "All right, now we can only wait to see what Severus has found out," Poppy told her friend and sat down next to her.

"Poppy," Minerva whispered. "Did you hear what Harry called me earlier?"

"Yes, I heard that, Minerva, and I'm very happy for you, although I could imagine that it might still take him years to call you that if it weren't for the high fever."

"I know, Poppy, but I'll try to be patient. He said it again a few minutes ago."

Before Poppy could reply, Severus came through the Floo in Poppy's office and joined the two women. "Will he be able to digest a potion?" he asked, turning to Poppy.