Chapter 1

Lance's Past:
Cuba
Lance's POV

"War. That's what is going on right now. A chance to rebel against our government. It's advertised and publicized about how great this would be how great you could be but, what isn't included is the pain, Death, and the trauma it will cause you and others." My fifth grade teacher lectured us. But everyone in the class was giddy and tryin to suppress a smile.

"But what a time to be alive! A war! And not just any war, a war that will help us. Our government is oppressing us and creating ridiculous taxes that we have to pay. We the poor and working class families. I think that this war is awesome and the people fighting in it are my heroes!" I exclaim.

"Yeah! Me too!" My classmates join in.

"Then why haven't you signed up Lance?" My teacher mocked me.

"Oh, but I have! I may be 13 but, my people need me so I signed up! It is high time that we stand up to our bullies. Isn't that what you've taught us? That if you see something bad it's your duty to try and stop it?" I argue back and the shock on my teacher's face was priceless. I may have been denied my education for some years but the enrollment money was hard to scrounge up. Begging and stealing is hard work.

"W-well...um, Lance do your parents know about this?" Mrs. Sanchez asked slowly.

"What parents?"

-one week later-

"McClain!" My commander shouted.

"Sir yes Sir!" I reply and stand in a full saluting position.

My commander's gaze locks onto me. His scrunched up face becomes more relaxed.

"At ease, lad. What are you doing here? You're too young." He asks.

"Sir, I was raised to believe that you have to stand up to bulling. That if you see something bad happening it is your duty to try stop it. I thought it was high time that I aid my fellow people in stopping the oppression our government is doing to us." I respond.

"Very noble but, what have your parents have to say in the matter." Commander Romeo ask softly.

"Sir, my parents worked themselves to death trying to keep up with the heavy taxing and providing for me. I watched them waste away when I was ten and I couldn't do anything about it. My three older siblings ran away, probably to America. My two younger siblings were put into two separate orphanages. My uncle and aunt have enough kids that when I came to them they pretended not to know me. My grandmas pasted away. My grandpa on my father's side is dead. My grandpa on my mother's side has Alzheimer's. I apologize if you weren't looking for a sob story." I say and then salute. What came next made me flinch.

The commander slapped me.

"You're damn right I wasn't. But children are more easier to mold then adults. Welcome to the rebellion. You'll train to be a sharpshooter. And when you're not you're training in combat." Commander Romeo said.

"Sir yes sir! Thank you for this opportunity!" I shouted and straightened up my salute.

"Dismissed." He muttered.

-five months later-

The private police force set up their weapons. They had tanks, foot soldiers each with MK's, and hand grenades weren't out of the question. These were mercenaries. These men and women trained to do this.

We were a rag-tag group of rebels led by former soldiers. We had homemade bombs, some MK's, rifles, and hand guns, we stole one tank though. It wasn't enough. But I was their secret weapon as Commander Romeo said.