Chapter 7: Boss Ass Bitch

Leah's POV

“There you are! I was just about to call to see if you were going to be late for dinner.” Bridgett says as I unceremoniously dump my school bag on the ground and slump into the bar stool.

“Oh sorry, I’m not really that hungry anyways.” I say sadly as I rest my forehead on the backs of my crossed arms. My head was pounding and I felt nauseous.

“But I made your favorite pasta.”

“Thanks Bridgett, but I’m just not that hungry right now. Maybe later..” I say, my voice muffled by my arms. After seeing Zac and Katie, I didn't really know what to do with myself, so I did the only thing I could think of and went to class. I tried to focus, but my mind ran wild with thoughts and my heart raced with every emotion- hurt, betrayal, confusion, disappointment, sadness, anger.

“What’s wrong dear? You’re never one to turn down food, especially pasta.”

“Nothing, just tired.” I mumble.

“Did you and Zac have a fight? I haven’t heard you pestering your father to un-ground you so you can go see him.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” My stomach lurches as images of Katie and Zac float into my head. My imagination plays cruel tricks on me and conjures up images of them in bed together, even though all I saw was them sitting in a classroom. But that, along with Harry's words, can only mean one thing. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

I feel so betrayed, not just by Zac but by Katie too. She’s supposed to be on my side, it’s just common girl code etiquette. Some best friend she is. Best friends are suppossed to be the people in your life that make you laugh louder, smile brighter, and live better. Not stab you in the back when you have a fight with your boyfriend.

“Come on dear, tell me what’s on your mind,” Bridget says softly, lifting my arm gently to make me sit up.

“I think we broke up… actually I know we broke up.” There is no way I am going to just forgive this.

Bridgett gasps, “Oh no, what happened?”

I stay silent, not wanting to say the words to be said out loud. It'd make it too real then.

“That bad?”

I nodded, willing the tears to stay at bay. I can’t cry over something like this. He doesn’t deserve the tears. I haven’t cried all day and I sure as hell am not going to start now. I can’t become weak and give him the satisfaction.

“I’m so sorry, darling.” Bridgett says as she pulls me into a comforting hug. I pull her closer, trying to draw some strength from her. “Why are boys so mean?” I mumble into her shoulder.

“I wish I could tell you.” She says, rubbing my back gently. “I wish I had a story of how some jerk broke my heart when I was young, only to be fixed by another man, but I don’t.”

“No one ever hurt your heart?” I ask quietly, pulling out of the hug and swiping the lone tear that escaped. Damn you eyes, for betraying me too.

“No dear, Mike and I were high school sweethearts. He was the first and only man I’ve ever been with.” She says. Mike was Bridgett’s husband. Unfortunately, he passed a few years ago from a heart attack. Their love was one from fairytales. Mike treated Bridgett like his world. Even in their old age, Mike would take Bridgett on dates and bring her flowers and hold her hand.

“I wish that had happened with me.”

“Don’t worry sweetheart. You’ll find him eventually.”