Chapter 15: The Love Test

Leah's POV

"You're late."

I look up, rushing through the door, and see Ty sitting behind the counter counting the money in the register. How did he know it was me without even having to look up?

"I know, I'm sorry." I apologize, putting my bag under the counter before tying an Eiffel Tower printed apron around my waist. "My brother and Uncle came home last night for a surprise visit and we all had a family brunch this morning."

"You mean your sexy, hot as hell brother? The one who basically looks like God."

"Umm...yeah, I guess." I look at him weirdly. "How do you even know what he looks like?"

"Everybody knows who Zayn Malik is, duh! Are you going to introduce me to him?"

"No, absolutely not." I begin to check the display case to see which cakes and pastries need to be made.

"But Leah," Ty whines.

"No way Ty, besides he's straight and I think he's seeing someone back in England so you're already out of luck."

"Damn."

Once I get a tally, I make my way to the back kitchen, patting Ty on the shoulder as he grumbles about being alone forever. I grab a big bowl and all the ingredients I need to make two pans of chocolate cake and one batch of vanilla bean scones.

I slowly cream the butter and sugar before adding in the flour, little by little. After adding a splash of vanilla extract, I let the mixer form the batter to the perfect consistence. While the mixer goes, I start melting the chocolate that is going to be added to the batter. Once it's melted, I slowly pour in the chocolate, not forgetting to sneak a little taste in. Then I pour the batter into two cake pans and pop them into the oven and set the timer so that they don't burn. Two down, one to go.

I quickly make the dough for the scones, adding milk and eggs and carefully measuring out the baking soda and flour. Once the dough has come together slightly, I dump it out onto the bench so I can kneed it and cut out the triangles. I flour my hands and sink my hands into the soft dough and slowly start kneeding it, rolling up on my tippy toes to put my whole weight into it. 

This is what I loved about baking. I love the thought of making something from scratch all by myself and it becoming a true labor of love. I love the science behind baking. I love experimenting with new ingredients and recipes. And I especially love taste-testing all the tasty treats.

The dough quickly comes together and I go to the racks and pick out the fluted cutters and get to work cutting out the scones. As I'm gently laying the scones on the baking sheet, Ty walks in and I already know what's coming.

"Soo..."

"Soo..." I repeat.

"Leah."

"Fine," I sigh. "What do you wanna know?"

"Did you guys make out? Is he a good kisser? Did you bang him?"

"What?! No I did not bang him, it was only the first date. What kind of girl do you take me for?" I ask, shocked.

"Well, what am I supposed to think? You were out so late and then when you came back your hair was all messed up and stuff." Ty grabs the sheet tray and puts it in the oven and I gather all the dishes and put them in the sink and start washing them.

"My hair was messed up because we went on rides and it wasn't even that late, shouldn't you have know all this from your evening of snooping?" I ask, scrubbing the bowls and cleaning the measuring cups.