11

song; obstacles by syd matters

[ mike's pov ]

once i saw will on the ground, sobbing, i knew i regretted ever ignoring him and replacing him. every bad thing i've done to him, i regretted it. yet, he still chose to come back to us. i was so thankful that he was back. i just want to know why he even left us in the first place.

-

we were now back at my house, will and i were in the bathroom. i had a rag in my hand and put it under the faucet. the warm water covered it. i took it out and squeezed it a bit, then i put it on will's wound. he inhaled and bit his lip from the pain. i lightly chuckled, "trust me, this hurts much less than what i have to clean it with next." he rolled his eyes, yet giggled. oh how i missed his laugh. i looked down at him only to see that he was already looking up at me.

"what?" i laughed. he just kept studying my face and smiled. "nothing, i just..i missed you, mike," he grinned. "i missed you too, byers," i grinned too. we just stared at each other, smiling. will made me truly happy. something as simple as just helping him makes me feel nice. i knew will came into my life for a reason, it just took me awhile to realize what that reason was. "hey will?" i questioned as i got out the rubbing alcohol. "hm?" he hummed in response. "can you promise me something?" i said looking at him before putting some of the liquid on the rag and cleaning his arm again. he hissed in pain, then the stinging went away. "yea, i can mike. what is it?" he questioned as he looked up at me.

"promise me that when we're older, we'll leave together," i said while finally looking back at him. he gave me a confused look. "promise me that when we're older, we'll leave hawkins. together," i said seriously. i knew will didn't know the reason as to why i wanted to leave this town in the first place, but his mouth broke out into a smile anyways. "yea mike, i promise," he said while taking my pinky and wrapping his own around it. i grinned and hugged him. he wrapped his arms around me tightly. i felt safe.

-

it's been a week since will came back to the group. the snowball is next month and everyone is so excited. i feel like jane is expecting me to ask her, considering we're together now. yet something inside of me is telling me to ask someone else, i just don't know who. jane smiled as she walked over to our table and sat next to me.

will seems to be warming up to her, which is good. i was worried he would have problems with her. as jane chatted with everyone, i couldn't help but only stare at will. i broke out into a smile, remembering the promise we made a couple weeks ago. "mike? hello?" jane said. i shook my head as i realized i was spacing out and turned to her. "you okay? you were smiling at will," she chuckled. i laughed nervously, "yea sorry, i just remembered something that happened." "what was it?" she questioned as she intertwined our hands. i sighed, yet kept the smile on my face, "nothing special." she nodded her head, "okay weirdo," she said as she jokingly punched my shoulder. i laughed and so did she.

"i'm starving, wanna get our food now guys?" dustin said. "as long as you stop talking about your mom and your cat having a weird bond," lucas said as he got up. "oh c'mon, that was like, last month. they haven't changed though," he pointed out. lucas shook his head while everyone laughed. i felt like will was becoming his normal self again. i took my free hand and ruffled will's hair and smiled, "it's good to have you back, byers." he giggled and looked up at me. "it's good to be back, wheeler."

-- --

so sorry that this chapter was shorter, but i felt like this was the perfect place to end it. i hope you guys enjoyed it !