12

song; far away by johnny goth

(don't play it until i say to please)

[will's pov]

i decided to start being kind to jane, only because mike was my best friend and i just want him to be happy. you can't hold grudges forever. jane is really nice though, i guess my jealousy blinded me from that earlier. it's been a week now since jane and i started to get on good terms. we were walking to class together. "hey will?" she questioned. "what's up jane?" i asked. "are you..this may sound weird but..are you and mike something?" my heart stopped and i froze. "w-what uh, makes you say that?" i said carefully. "i mean, you and mike seem much closer than friends sometimes and i just wanted to know if there was something i needed to know," she shrugged. i exhaled, "no, mike and i are only friends jane. there's nothing happening between us, i promise." i lied. i couldn't let her know the truth. i mean yes i like mike, but i couldn't tell her that. that would just crush her. she nodded her head, "ah sorry. i didn't mean-" "it's okay jane," i gave her a reassuring smile. she gave me a small smile and we went to class.

-

my feelings for mike only felt like they were growing stronger. the snowball was coming up and i know he's going to go with jane. they always do cute stuff together and it makes me smile. yet i can't help but wish i was jane in that situation. for example, when all of us hung out in mike's basement, jane would be around occasionally. mike's mom only said yes to her being there because she trusted mike. while we played games and such, jane would be snuggled up next to him. he would have his arm wrapped around her and hold her close. it always made me remember back to the night where i fell asleep in mike's lap. could he possibly even have the chance to feel the same way about me? everything seems hopeless right now. we were all currently walking in the woods and dustin walked over to me since i was kind of dragging behind the group.

"what's wrong, will?" he asked. i shook my head, "don't worry about me dustin, i'm fine," i tried to laugh it off. "it's jane and mike, isn't it?" he asked, ignoring what i said. i looked around, hoping no one was listening, none of them were.  i sighed, "look i don't want to talk about it, okay?" i whispered. "i get that, but you need to tell him sooner or later, will. it's eating you up inside, we all notice it," he said as concern was filling his voice. i didn't respond, knowing he was right. i did need to tell mike because i may never get another chance to. he doesn't have to share the same feelings for me, but at least know how i feel and we can leave it at that. what will jane do though? oh jeesh, she would be so pissed at me since i basically already lied to her. "i don't know dustin...jane might kill me," i said quietly. dustin chuckled, "yeah right! she's too nice. plus, i think she would understand. as long as she knew you weren't trying to ruin their relationship, she shouldn't worry," he said as he patted my shoulder and smiled. i nodded my head and just agreed with him. "well, we better catch up with the g-" i cut him off as i gently grabbed onto his sleeve, "when should i tell him?" he looked in thought for a moment, "just tell him when you think the time's right, will." he then grabbed my arm to catch up with the rest of the group.

- sorry for all the time skips oops - play the song here by the way

it's been a few days since dustin had talked to me. i knew he was right, it was just complicated trying to figure out the right moment when to tell mike. how should i tell him? should i just put it out there? should i beat around the bush? shit, i don't know. mike said he wanted all of us to hang out at his place after school, specifically just us guys. he missed all four of us hanging out, without his girlfriend also tagging along. the snowball was on friday and of course i didn't get asked. i would only want to go with one certain person anyways, so i don't mind.

mike smiled at me as i walked up to him. we waited together for the guys to get out of the school so we could all walk there together. "hey, mike?" i questioned. he looked over at me, "yea?" "sometimes, i feel like i'm going crazy," i laughed. "that was random," he chuckled, "why do you think that?" he questioned. "i don't know, my mind just feels..scattered sometimes i guess," i shrugged. "well, sometimes i feel like i'm going crazy too," he said staring ahead as i looked up at him without him looking back at me. i saw him smile and i smiled too. "hey..maybe, we can go crazy together?" he said while looking at me this time. i grinned and nodded my head, "yea..crazy together." i looked down and our hands were almost touching. we almost wrapped our fingers together before dustin hopped off the steps, lucas following close behind. we both coughed nervously and pulled our hands away. "c'mon my good fellows! we must make our way to mike's palace!" dustin said in a british accent, all excited. mike and i laughed while lucas rolled his eyes. "mike?" i said again. he stuck his hands in his pockets and looked down at me for a moment, "hm?" "i need to uh..talk to you later," i said nervously. "oh uh, okay. about?" he asked. "um, something important," i quickly responded. he nodded his head and we all continued walking to his house.

— —

WOW I HAVENT UPDATED IN FORevER BUTTT uh yeA. i hope you liked this chapter lolol