14

song; gray sky-johnny goth

( don't play until i tell you to )

[will's pov]

i was glad that i finally told mike. he didn't hate me like i thought he would. he understood and just accepted it. i would die if he told me that we couldn't be friends anymore. he means too much to me. after we talked, lucas and dustin came down the stairs with snacks in each of their hands. "so, what'd we miss?" dustin asked as he opened a bag of chips. "nothing much," mike muttered while looking over at me and smiling. "mhmmm," dustin said questioningly as he stuffed a few chips in his mouth, lucas doing the same.

-

time passed and it was now time to go back home. it was a school night so we couldn't stay any longer. as we were all putting on our jackets and shoes, nancy came over to me again. "so..did you tell him?" she whispered excitedly. "shh!" i said while smacking her arm. "what! i'm trying to be quiet," she said while rubbing the spot where i hit her on her arm. "he still might hear you," i said while looking at the kitchen considering that's where mike was. "no he won't," she reassured, "but did you?" she asked again. i sighed before responding, "yes, i did. he doesn't hate me or anything so it went well..i think," i said while smiling awkwardly. "aww!" she squealed. "shut up!" i whispered while hitting her again. "yeouch!" she yipped. "sorry, i'm just being cautious," i apologized. "right...um, but i'm glad you told him, will. trust me, he'll come to his senses and realize you're the one he should be with," she smiled as she ruffled my hair before walking into the kitchen. as if nancy.

we all said bye to mike and walked out the door. "so did you tell him?" dustin and lucas asked at the same time. they looked at each other. "damn, i've been spending too much time with you," lucas said while shaking his head. "rude," dustin said in a weird voice. "anyways, did you?" he asked again. i nodded my head, "yea, i did." "how'd it go?" lucas asked. "it went really good. he might've held my hands too," i blushed. "ooohh sweet!" dustin yelled while pumping his fist in the air. "i m-mean it was just a nice g-gesture. he was trying to calm me. not a big deal," i tried to play it off but you could hear the nervousness in my voice. "nice gesture or not, he still wanted to hold your hand," lucas pointed out. "you guys are thinking about it too hard," i sighed. "we might, but we still ship it," dustin said. i laughed as i shook my head. dustin and i waited for our parents to show up while lucas walked home considering he doesn't live very far.

jonathan showed up a little later and so did dustin's mom. "see ya!" i said while we both did some lame handshake. i got in the car and jonathan smiled at me before driving off. "so, how was it?" he asked. "it was good," i smiled, "really good." "ooo, what happened?" he asked. "well, i told mike how i felt," i replied. "what! that's awesome lil bro. what'd he say?" he asked as he ruffled my hair. "he said he was proud of me basically, and that this wouldn't ruin our friendship," i sighed at the last part. "aw man, the friendzone. i know how that is," he said. "you do?" i asked. "yea, it happened with nancy. i thought we had something, but i don't know," he said. "i'm uh, i'm sorry," i said awkwardly. "it's whatever. i guess we're stuck in the same boat," he chuckled. "i guess so."

--

the week went on the same and it's now the night of the snowball. my mom made sure to get me a nice tux because she wanted me to look nice for mike. "mom, stop," i sighed annoyed. "just let me fix this," she said as she was trying to straighten the vest. "it's fine," i groaned. she let go and looked at me. "awe, my little boy is growing up," she smiled sadly as she lightly pinched my cheek. "agh, stop," i said while trying to swat her hand away. to be honest, i was really excited. my mom turned on some music and took my hand. we started to dance around the living room. jonathan came into the room with his video camera. "do you always have to be filming everything?" i asked while still dancing with my mom. "no..no," he said, "just the good stuff," he smiled and my mom laughed. i looked at my mom, "are you sure people still dance like this?" i asked. "yea, this is what's happening," she smiled. i looked back at the camera, "is it what's happening?" i asked jonathan. "yea, that's what's happening," he smiled.