Chapter 39: Breaking the promise

Jungkook POV: 

"That she's adopted" 

flashback 

"Come on Jungkook climb over the fence" David instructs as he holds me up whilst I attempt to climb over the fence. My legs aren't that long so I don't know why he's making me get the ball even though he threw it. This is the last time I play basketball with David, its way more fun when I play with Jae but she's on a school trip right now. 

"Why do I have to do it?" I ask him as I try to get one leg over the fence. The struggle is real. 

"Because you're the skinny one now get the damn ball already" he responds then pushes me up causing me to fall on the other side of the fence with a thump. "ARE YOU OK DUDE?!" I hear him shout as I try to get up from the ground. 

"Yeah but I can't find the ball" I answer him. I look around the garden trying to find the ball quickly before I get caught trespassing in somebody else's garden. I don't want to get arrested, Jae would kill me for being so stupid. 

"That's it I'm coming, step back" he says then the next thing I see him climb over the fence with ease. If he could do it himself then why did he go through the struggle of lifting me up and throwing me over a fence? We both begin to look around the garden but then we hear a noise. 

"I think someone is coming" I whisper over to David who begins to panic. 

"Quick hide behind the shed" he instructs then we both run towards the shed and crouch down. This is not how I planned my Friday afternoon to be like. We hide our bodies but also whilst still trying to ensure that we can see what's going on. 

"Jaebum get Jennifer a drink she looks like she needs it" an asian lady with a cigarette in her mouth orders and a tall asian boy with black hair appears and gives a black lady a drink but I can't see the lady's face because David's head is in the way. 

"Dude that's Jae's mum" David whispers and I push his head allowing me to see Jennifer Carter looking like she has been crying. What on Earth is going on? How does Jennifer know this lady? And why does she look so sad? 

"Mrs. Im I don't know what to do anymore, I don't know whether I can provide for her. What if she turns out like her biological mother I can't deal with that!" Jennifer shouts looking really worried and frustrated. Wait who is she talking about? What's going on? "Jae is not my daughter so why am I taking responsibility for her? Why did I take her?" She adds and my heart sinks. 

"No Jenny you do know why you took her, its because you cared, you saw that little baby and you saw an innocent life not a sinner like her mother" the asian women says but I'm not really paying much attention because I'm too focused on the fact that Jenny is not Jae's real mum.  

"Dude if Jenny isn't Jae's real mum then who is?" David asks me looking as curious as me but I know how much this would break Jae. She can never find out. 

"I don't know but we can't tell Jae... not ever" 

Present day 

How many times is the universe going to test me as a human being and as a boyfriend? Why did David have to show up when things were getting good for me and Jae? I completely forgot that he knew, actually I completely forgot what happened that day but I always knew, I always remembered that Jae was adopted. Now I have to think strategically, if I lose the fight I've broken Jae's promise and if I win the fight then David is going to tell Jae and break her heart. I can't let him, a stranger break her heart I rather do it myself. 

"I don't care because I'll tell her before you" I finally speak up after thinking to myself for a long time. I can't let anyone else hurt Jae, if it comes from me then it'll hurt less. Yes she'll be mad at me and hate me for a while but its better than me breaking our promise.