20: "Goodbye"

TW: attempted suicide

A note. A note would give him closure. No, no, a note isn't enough. I wanted him to hear my voice...one...last...time. Before I did it. Tears flew out of the eyes of I, Betty Cooper as I set my pencil down and walked over to my laptop. I brought it over to my piano and sat myself and the computer down, then opened the camera. I was visibly distressed, but how could I not be? I dried the tears as best as I could, but nothing changed.

Every word I thought of just turned to a rhyme. So what better to do than sing? My finger pressed the record button, then went down to the piano keys and began to play and sing."Take me to the rooftop, I wanna see the world when I stop breathing; turning blue. Tell me love is endless, don't be so pretentious. Leave me, like you do," I took a breath and dragged my shaky hand to the other side of the piano.

"And if you need me, you wanna see me, you'd better hurry 'cause I'm leaving soon. Sorry, can't save me now. Sorry, I don't know how. Sorry, there's no way out...but down," Tears were falling down as I sang, but I needed him to hear me. I started remembering all the best times she I with Jughead and continued singing. "Taste me, these salty tears on my cheek. It's what a year-long headache does to you," I paused before continuing. 

"I'm not okay, I feel so scattered, don't say I'm all that matters. Leave me, deja vu." I stopped singing for a second and just flat out said it, "Goodbye, Juggie." With tears leaving my eyes, I stopped the recording and wrote a quick note that read, "Press Play" and sat it on my computer keyboard. I knew he would come to save me...this would stop him. I walked over to my window and slid it open, stepping out onto the roof.

I stepped a bit higher and closed my eyes for a split second, the opened them slowly. I could no longer see into my window, but I heard the recording playing from her room...he was here. Once the chorus began to play, I heard the window slide up and just as I was about to jump, warm, loving arms wrapped around my cold skin. I slid down onto the roof as I cried into Jughead's arms and hugged him back. Jughead sat down with me as he stroked my wind-blown hair.

"It's okay. It's okay, baby." Jughead promised, my head tucked in his arms and resting on his chest. So there we sat, being held in each other's embrace. How could I ever want to give this up? Why can't I just accept the fact that someone loves me? Is that so hard to believe? Yes, it was. But why? Who is stopping me from being happy? I didn't care anymore. I was there with him, and that's all that matters.