Chapter 24 - Captive

Note: This is the shortest update ever. I'll explain why at the end. 

--##--

Arnav pushed open the door only to find his 2 brothers' faces gleaming from laptops' light. When Akash and NK looked up, he thought he was looking at over-sized meerkats seated far away from each other.

"What in the world are you both doing in this dark room at 4 in the morning?" asked Arnav.

"Voh, bhai... I... I was just browsing to buy something for our baby without Payal's knowledge and surprise her," said Akash.

"She is just 2 months pregnant Akash," said Arnav. "You have a plenty of time for that."

Akash blushed, "Well... I.... I wasn't feeling sleepy anyway."

Arnav hid his smile. He knew how excited, yet terrified, Akash was about becoming a father. Akash was always easy when handling kids, so he couldn't understand what was there to be anxious about. At least, he had a lot of time to think about that, but again, he was getting married to a kid, Khushi.

"And you?" he asked NK.

NK, covering the mike piece of his headset, and said, "Facetiming Lavanya."

"Why here?"

"I'm trying to be discreet. No one can hear anything happening in this room," said NK.

Arnav rolled his eyes. He was there because he heard noises.

"Do you want us to leave?" asked Arnav, beckoning Akash to come.

"No, that's alright," said NK. "You guys are no harm. It is our ladies I should be wary of."

"What do you mean?" asked Akash.

"My genius brothers don't possess the brain."

"Excuse me? The brain?" asked Arnav, offended.

"Yup! What did I say I was doing here?" said NK in a challenging tone.

"Chatting with Lavanyaji," replied Akash, bemused.

"You got your answer," grinned NK and went back to the call. "Yeah, I'm back..."

Deciding to ignore him, "Go to sleep, Akash. Nani said that today's going to be a long day," said Arnav. "And tell that eccentric idiot the same."

"40 rooms in the palace and these fools chose none other but this ancient storeroom!" muttered Arnav, looking at the dirt and cobwebs in distaste.

While leaving, he accidentally kicked a box and its contents fell out. Curious, knelt down and rummaged through them. He was surprised to find some project files which belonged to his father; 'Project Dridha', 'Welfare for Anadh', 'Scheme for Kisan' etc...

He vaguely remembered that his father had participated in many social activities and undertaken numerous programmes for the betterment of people. His family had been so proud.

Why would Arjun Malik take up projects for noble causes?

"Lies. Just a show. To cover up all the felonies he and his brother, Ankush Malik, were engaged in," his mind readily answered.

Arnav was staring at the family picture that was taken in his childhood. Devyani, Subhadra, Ratna, Arjun, Arnav, Anjali, Manohar, Manorama, Akash, NK, Preethi and Raj (NK's parents); They were all laughing, happiness radiating in every face. How perfect they all were! Ruined. Everything ruined just because some were money greedy.