just friends

Taylor did not return to their shared dorm room for hours. When he finally showed up, he was evidently high.

Or, as Logan had said, "baked like a fucking cake."

Taylor reeked of weed and his red eyes made the fact that he was stoned more apparent. In addition to these factors, Taylor walked straight to the mini fridge as soon as he entered the room. Clearly, the munchies were hitting him.

Once he finished off his nice snack — which was just an old, refrigerated quesadilla — he sat down on his own bed and looked at Zac with his bloodshot eyes. He cleared his throat until he finally caught Zac's attention.

"So I was talking to Logan today. He and I decided that we're gonna live together next year," he spoke slowly.

Zac was silent, he simply stared at Taylor for a moment. Eventually, the only words he could muster up the courage to say were, "Without me?"

Taylor shook his head in response. "Maybe with another person, but probably someone from our frat. I assume you wanted to live together next year but it's not like you and I have ever discussed it. I didn't promise you that we would. Considering what took place last night and our weird conversation this morning, I don't know how good it would be for us to live together next year. That would make things really awkward."

"It was one night," Zac argued in an attempt to persuade Taylor to live with him during their sophomore year of college.

Again, Taylor shrugged. He didn't say another word.

Zac was devastated. He had no friends other than Hayley and Taylor, and only one of the two were even an option to be living with. Now that Taylor was planning on living with someone new, Zac was back to square one.

During another awkward silence that was shared between the men, Zac began to cry. All this did was worsen the awkward tension. It wasn't just a few tears rolling down his cheeks, it was full on ugly crying.

"Stop it. We've only been living with each other for a few months. We just need to get by until the end of the year," Taylor said as if this would make Zac feel any better. It did the opposite, causing him to cry even more.

He was an emotional guy, of course he was sobbing. Taylor had no idea what to say, so he just sat across from Zac and stared at him as he cried.

"Stop crying," Taylor eventually said. Zac looked up at him, still crying, of course.

"I'm not like you, Taylor. I don't have other friends. And I was just starting to think that maybe you liked me. You know, I think you're doing all of this because you're in denial. You won't accept the truth that you like me."

Maybe Zac was becoming a little cocky in being so certain that Taylor was interested in him. But at the same time, he was right. Taylor did like him, even if he wouldn't accept his own feelings.

Obviously, Taylor instantly denied this accusation. "I don't like you. At least not as anything more than a friend. Last night was a mistake. We shouldn't have done what we did. We don't have a choice for this year, we have to live together until May, until we're done with this school year. Unfortunately, I don't think that this will work for another year. It's going to be really awkward, I think we can both agree on that. Especially considering what happened between us last night."

So that was that. Zac was heartbroken and Taylor didn't feel a thing but regret.

Regret that he had slept with Zac, regret that he had said those things and made Zac cry. He wished that he could take it all back.