Chapter 2: Traitor

I walked passed men as they called out to me, keeping my eyes open for my partner. I felt my arm be grabbed and I turned to see a large man grinning down at me. His breath stunk of alcohol and I switched to breathing through my mouth.

"Hello cutie, what are you doing out so late?" He leaned forward, eyeing me with a lecherous grin.

"Oh, hello. I was just looking for my man. If you'll excuse me." I pushed his hand off me and started walking away when he pulled me back.

"Don't be that way. Let's have some fun." He put his arms around me and grinned. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. I knew I could easily get him off of me but with so many people around, I would just draw attention to myself which I couldn't do. 

"Would you mind releasing my lady?" The man's arms were pried away from me and I felt an arm wrap around my waist. Looking up, I saw my partner from earlier. 

"Thank you, darling." I slid my arms around him and smiled. He sent me a soft smile and we walked off. We continued walking until we exited Edo. "So again, thanks for that. Now you want to let go of me?" I looked down at his arm that was still wrapped around me.

"Aw, you're no fun." He laughed but took away his arm. I looked at my friend as we walked back towards our village. His name was Gou and I was engaged to him. Not my choice. The village elder was my adoptive father and it was his choice. Gou was one of the most skilled ninjas in our village. Well skilled compared to the guys. Not compared to me. I was the best in the village. I had to be if I was going to be chief one day. I wasn't thrilled about the arranged marriage. I had no love for Gou. He was nice enough but I didn't feel that way about him. I tried to, but I didn't.

"It'll be nice to get home." I stretched my arms up, stretching.

"Glad to know the mission went well. Not that I was worried. Didn't think it'd be hard for you to kill that guy." I stopped walking then and he turned back to me. "What's wrong?"

"I didn't do it." I was barely able to whisper it. "I didn't kill him."

"I'm sorry, what? You didn't kill him? Did you forget the mission!?" His features harden as he stepped towards me. "Why didn't you do it?"

"He just... He just seemed too nice..." I looked down, feeling embarrassed of my reason. "How could I kill someone who was clearly so pure and kind?"

"That's why? You didn't follow through because he was nice? There's a lot of nice people out there! But we still have our orders! We're going back, and you're finishing your job!" Gou grabbed my arm and started dragging me back to Edo. I could only hang my head in shame as he walked.

We arrived at Kyokatei and Gou picked me up as I hesitated outside the door and carried me in the ceiling.

"Which room is his?" His grip on me was hard as he hissed in my ear. I knew he was mad. He was more mad than I had ever seen him. Gou followed the village's orders fully. He respected the village. And I did too. It was my home, my family. I trusted they would never steer me wrong. Which is why I felt so guilty about disobeying an order from them.

When we arrived at Kinshiro's room, Gou dropped down silently and forced my claws back on my hands. I was trembling at the thought of taking Kinshiro's life. I had killed before. I had even lost count of how many lives I had taken. But I couldn't take this one.

I turned to Kinshiro's futon only to find it empty.

"He isn't here!" I whispered to Gou, turning to him. "Let's just go. We don't need to kill him."

"Do you even hear yourself!?" He whisper shouted back at me. "Of course we do! It's our job! You were told to kill him and that's what you're going to do. We'll just wait here for him. Or I will tell the chief."