Chapter 28: I'm Not Ready

Music filled my ears as I danced on the stage in front of a number of people, my sleeves swaying elegantly. My feet matched every beat perfectly and the smile never left my face. I looked graceful and innocent. And I was. If you didn't count the knives hidden in my new kimono. My eyes moved with my body, not visually wandering but easily taking in every face in the room. 

The music ended and applause took its place. Moving to stand next to the beautiful woman next to me, I bowed lowly to the room.

"Weren't they just wonderful? These lovely ladies will be around to serve you all before their next dance. I want everyone to have a fantastic time!" Clapping his hands, Tokugawa addressed all of his important guests before allowing the dancers to rise. 

"My Lord, would you like for us to serve you this evening?" I approached Nobu with the woman I bowed with as the other dancers began mingling.

"I would love that. I feel so lucky having such a pretty girl like you standing by me tonight." At the shogun's words, the woman next to me cleared her throat causing Nobu to chuckle. "Forgive me. I am extra lucky to have two pretty girls serving me."

"You're too kind." The woman cooed happily. "We will be right back with your sake."

"Yes. Give us a moment." Bowing my head to Yoshinobu, I led the woman from the large room and into the hall where I let out a silent sigh. "Well, they aren't in there. But I'm a little worried about a few of the other guests. They were looking a little too strongly at the women. I recognize them from here in town so I'll get Soji to look into them later. What about you? Notice anything fun?"

"You're certainly right about those men. I don't think I've seen such hungry looks. Men are beasts." A shudder passed through the shoulders next to me. 

"That makes you a beast then, right? Or do you not consider yourself a real man, Hotaka?" I snickered at my friend. He was definetly a sight of loveliness. Obviously since I was the one who did his makeup. Aoi had been focused on mine for so long that we almost ran out of time for Hotaka to get ready.

"I don't care about what you think of other men. In fact, it's better if you don't think of them as men at all." Facing me, Hotaka's voice got deeper. It was a little terrifying since he looked like a woman. "So long as you think of me a man."

"Sure thing. You are the prettiest man I have ever met. Want me to touch up your makeup?" Smirking, I moved past him and made my way down the halls. I felt inside my over sized sleeve and felt the talisman that Asagi had given me. I was a little disappointed to know that it was still there. 

What is Willem doing? Is he turning on me?

I bit my cheek to keep the worry from showing. I hadn't taken another step when my arm was grabbed and I was pulled into a room. I wasn't going to call out since I knew better, but my mouth was still covered with a hand. 

"It's me." Soji spoke into my ear from behind and I nodded. Seeing that I wasn't going to shout, he slowly let go of me so that I could face him.

"I take it you haven't seen them yet?"

"Yeah. I have Aoi and Yuzuki searching outside in case they try sneaking in." Reaching into his ninja outfit, Soji pulled out a talisman that matched the one in my sleeve. "No one else has found them either."

"You'd think Willem would be easy to spot. If his hair doesn't give him away then his height would." I let out a small sigh.

"I wouldn't count on him to keep his word. There's a good chance that he's working with Toru and Tsubaki exclusively." Soji was quick to dismiss the possibility that Willem might actually do something to benefit someone else.