Chapter 23: The Games

"I'm not a fan of hanging in the air!" I shook the bars, trying to find a weak point. The cage was large enough for me to stand in and extend my legs while sitting, but it still wasn't ideal.

"We apologize, Miss Keomi, but it is the Shogunate's orders." Yuzuki gave me a remorseful look from where he stood with those going to Edo. 

"You won't be up there long, don't you worry!" Smiling, Nobu sent me a wave that I begrudgingly returned.

"Well can you guys at least lower it a bit? I feel like I am unnecessarily high." A sudden gust of wind came, stronger due to how high I was and shook the cage. I clutched the bars in fear and trembled. "Yeah, I am not having fun! Come on guys, I don't get scared often. Like, ever. But this is pretty terrifying."

I had no problem saying my fear. If the cage fell, I wouldn't be able to save myself. Wasn't a fan of being a sitting duck.

"It doesn't seem very safe. Get her down." Natsume started going towards the huge tree that the cage was hanging from when he was stopped. Not by one of the ninjas, but by a pair in a unique uniform. Toshi and Soshiro held their blades out towards Natsume, wearing their Shinsengumi uniforms. We all talked more to the pair earlier and learned more about them. They came with the Shogunate in order to give him protection. Toshi was rough around the edges, but I knew that. He never sat with anyone at the tea house and always gave a glare when someone approached him. Soshiro was much more pleasant, he and Yuzuki got along well when it came to discussing sweets,

"The woman stays up there." Toshi wasted no time bringing his sword closer to Natsume, both men glaring at the other.

"Hey! This woman has a name! It took me a stupidly long time to get the guys to stop seeing me as a weak woman and I will be damned if I let another man look down on me! I am above you both literally and figuratively! I look down on you!" Breaking off a couple twigs that I could reach, I attempted to chuck them at Toshi angrily.

"And I thought Hotaka was the dramatic one." Aoi gave me a look as Soji sighed.

"Try not to move much in the cage, Keomi. The more you remain still, the less the cage will sway. Hopefully it'll make things a little easier for you." Speaking in his usual gentle voice, Wakasa sent me a kind smile. I nodded and slowly lowered myself, sitting on the bottom. I resigned to my fate of watching the fun below.

Third Person POV:

"Group Nagasaki against group Edo! Winning group gets Keomi for the month!" Smiling, Nobuyoshi addressed all the men. 

"Is this a fighting competition?" Soji, like all the others, had his weapon in hand.

"We got a fighting competition between our group every year. It's great for team building and showing off our skills." Ukyo was excited as he recalled the previous years.

"My Lord started the tradition to ensure our bonds don't break. It tests our abilities as ninjas because we know how all of us fight." Shintaro nodded, agreeing with Ukyo. 

"Why don't we do anything fun as a group!?" Hotaka looked at Kinshiro in shock.

"That's because- umm... " Kin looked uncomfortable as he avoided gazes. "We do things as a group.."

"No, we don't. We hardly all meet at once for anything." Aoi was quick to call his leader out. All his partners nodded in response.

Clearing his throat, Nobu got everyone's attention.

"Last night I came up with a schedule for today! Let's have fun!" Giving them no hints, he pulled a rope attached to a tree, a large piece of paper unrolling from the branches, showing the itinerary.