Chapter 30: Home Bound

Two months passed since that day. The Nagasaki men returned home with Toru. The Shinsengumi took Tsubaki with them when they went back to Kyoto. As for Willem...

"Oh get over it already, Aoi. Kin said that you have to do the job with him tonight. So play nice." I gave my friend an exasperated smile in the mirror. Though he was given a house in the South district of Edo, Kinshiro still wasn't allowing Willem to do jobs on his own. At least he trusted him enough to take lives for the vigilantes. I was the only one on the team not allowed to work with him which was a little odd, but I didn't argue with Kin.

"I still don't get why he's even allowed to be in Japan after all the crap he's done." Aoi's tone was irritated, but his touch was gentle. I ignored his muttering under his breath and just focused on doing my makeup. I had finally been able to get back to my usual routine. Had Aoi do my hair in the morning then went to the tea house to sing. After that I had lunch with Sion and Willem. Willem convinced my boss to start serving rose tea which almost instantly became very popular with customers. After work I typically made dinner for Soji and Kinshiro then went to my night job. I also helped Natsume chose books for his library from merchants and other stores. Hotaka and I hadn't seen much of one another lately which was unfortunate. He was extremely busy rehearsing for a new kabuki show which he made me promise to see on opening night. I was looking forward to seeing him all made up. And things between Wakasa and I had never been better. He kept me living at his clinic for about two weeks while my wound healed properly. He seemed to enjoy taking care of me. It was a little odd being so weak around my friend, but I trusted Waka. Sadistic or not, I knew he wouldn't hurt me. Hopefully.

"Thanks for making me so pretty. Now go home and get some sleep." Smiling widely, I turned and wrapped my arms around my clearly tired friend.

"I'm just going to ask Kin if I can crash here. Worked until late last night." He spoke with a yawn, running his hand through his messily made hair.

"Just stay in my room. You're going to have to come back here tonight for work anyways, doesn't make sense to force yourself to move right now."

"If you're sure, then that's good with me." Not seeming bothered about staying in my room, Aoi moved over to my bed and got into it without hesitation. It was the first time I was seeing him in my bed since the morning I woke up next to him after we drank together. He gave me a sleepy smile as I left my room.

Like every morning, Edo was alive and bustling. I felt a sense of pride when I saw everyone smiling and living their lives happily.

"Keomi, you look as beautiful as ever!" My boss came up to me the moment I stepped into the tea house.

"Aren't you a sweetheart today." I returned his smile and made my way to my usual spot on the stage. Soon the pleasant sound of my koto filled the building. There was already a number of customers sitting around. It was nice seeing everyone look so at peace. I wanted to keep them happy.

.

"Drink it all then talk." Neither Sion's words or his expression were stern as he handed me a cup of tea. I was sitting between him and Willem. Their relationship was a little confusing. At times it was extremely hostile and at other times I could almost mistake them as friendly acquaintances. Almost.

"You sang beautifully, my dear. It is a gift to be able to hear your voice every day. I missed it when I was away. " Willem had left Japan shortly after I gave him the choice to join the vigilantes. For about a month we all thought that was his answer. None of us actually expected him to come back. But he did. According to him, he had to formally leave the assassination group. He gave up everything, his home, life, freedom, just to come to Japan. I had thought he would use that to pressure me into a relationship with him, but nope. He was respectful about my space and decisions. That helped the guys get a little more used to him. Aside from their dislike of him from their previous encounters, they didn't seem to have any real qualms with the man. Natsume and Aoi still tried to find some of course.