What If

Seattle has been my home for two years now. I love it, and I love everything I do. I'm not a big fan of a private practice, but I have learned to love it. I love Seattle and the city itself, but it almost feels like there is something missing from my life. I'm not sure what it is.

         I am still single, still wishing someone would come save me from myself, but it's not the worst thing in the world. I don't mind it, I just get lonely. I don't go back to New York often, and I don't mind that.

          I don't really have a reason to go out there. Claire comes out here with the kids often enough and I don't have anyone else there but Mel. She tries to get me to go back but I refuse.

          I am actually going back to New York soon though to help a firm out there. We are arguing for mother in court, who lost her kids because she was an addict she is clean and has been for two years, she deserves to get some custody of her son back.

           I finished packing up my things and laid down. I'm going back a day early to go hang out with Claire and the girls during the day. At night I'm going to go out with Melissa and the girls.

           I got up and head out to the airport.

*

I've checked into my hotel it's nice, and I don't have to pay for it, which is nice. I showered, got dressed in something that was just casual. I walked down to the coffee shop to get a little work done before I went to dinner with my family tonight. I'm excited to see my nieces and sister.

"Hi can I just get a coffee with two scoops of sugar and some cream in it," I ordered.

"Coming right up," the perky young girl with green hair nodded.

"Thanks I like your hair by the way," I always wish I had the balls to dye my hair.

"Thanks," she smiled. I picked a table and set up. I got my coffee and sat down.

I was into my work when someone sat next to me.

"Hi Stranger," I heard a familiar voice.

"Marie?" I looked up shocked. It's been at least ten years.

"Hi Colie. Long time no see," she giggled. My heart skipped several beats. She had silky light brown hair that cascaded over her shoulders. Those blue eyes, were electric, all that ran through my mind was 'Electric Love.'

        "I mean it's only been a decade. How are you?" I got up to hug her.

          "I'm good how are you?" She smelled like clean laundry. God I never loved that smell more.

         "I'm good. I live in Seattle now. Go order and let's talk for a few minutes," I sat back down. I finished up some work. I did get a lot done.

         God I never thought I would see her again. I never ever even dreamed she would say hi first and be so friendly about it.

        "So Seattle isn't it raining there, like all the time?" She asked.

          "The thing about the rain is, it isn't heavy. It's light, and misty, but it's also the calming thing in the world. It makes me appreciate the sunny days, and most of the time it's gloomy, not rainy. But it brings me peace for some reason, like a clean slate everyday."

          "You don't live here anymore? Well that sucks," she sighed. "So what are you doing in town?"

           "I'm here on business. I'm helping out a firm that needs people, and my boss knows them so here I am." I smiled.