Twelve

We were too late...

When I got there, rocks were where they weren't supposed to be.

I whined as I ran to the place where I'd left them. They weren't there.

I followed their scent and it led me to a site where an IED had gone off.

I whined and I'd howled at all the destruction.

The men who'd come to help found the carnage after following the sound of me.

"Damn it..." I heard a few of them whisper.

My team was well liked and well loved, and now, they were gone...

After that, when we'd gotten to camp and the somber news had been delivered and my ear had been wrapped, I'd been muzzled and put into a crate.

Then, I was shipped off back to the states, back to the training center I'd been brought up in.
.
.
.
I laid down on a dog bed that had been provided to me and that's where I stayed the entire time.

I growled anytime someone tried to come in and take me outside for a walk.

I even bit someone who was persistant with it. I barely ate or drank anything.

All I could think about was the rocks covered with the blood and parts of my team.

I stayed there for almost two weeks before someone standing by my kennel's gate got my attention.

I'd long since clawed off the gauze that was wrapped on my ear, revealing a bullet sized hole from the sniper.

"Hey Bullet," I heard a familiar voice say.

I perked up my ears and ran up to the gate.

"That's the most she's moved in weeks Steve, if you want her, she's yours,".