Twenty-Three

It had been a few hours, and no one had opened the door. I eventually caved to Lucky's requests. I was cold and maybe running around would warm me up.

So Lucky and I played chase for a while, but he stopped to stare at the fence. The fence was brick and you couldn't see through it.

I slowed to a stop, "I wonder what's over the fence," he wondered aloud.

"It's not that tall of a fence, easy to jump if you want to see what's on the other side." I told him, he turned to look at me.

"You can jump that?" he asked.

I didn't reply. Instead, I backed up a few paces and ran towards the fence, jumping and crawling on top of it.

Lucky jumped up, startled. "I want to try!" he barked before taking a few steps farther back than I had. He jumped and only his front paws were over the wall, so he pulled himself up the rest of the way.

I hopped down on the other side of the fence, it wasn't heavily forested, but there was still forest.

Lucky followed me, "I jumped the fence!" he exclaimed.

I found it hard not to laugh at him, "I saw," I told him.

I looked around so did Lucky, "Let's explore," he suggested.

Before I could say anything, he was running through the forest. I growled and took off after him.
.
.
.
Lucky didn't stop for a while, bounding through the white stuff that coated the forest until we hit a town. That's when he stopped, panting heavily.

I slowed to a stop beside him, we'd come a long way to be near a town. I'd never heard a town when we were at the base...

"Let's explore here!" Lucky said as he trotted into the street, there were hardly any cars I could hear.

The white stuff was everywhere here too, but it wasn't very thick. There were people shoveling it off the sidewalks and road.

Lucky led me around the town.

I was listening and looking around, making sure no one would attack us.

As we walked passed an alley there was a bark, "Heey pretty lady," I heard come from it.

Lucky stopped and backed up a bit to look in the alley.

There was a big rottweiler mix standing near a knocked over trash can. There were two more of them standing behind him.

I guessed they were siblings.

"Leave her alone," Lucky barked at them.

The mutts bore their teeth growled, "What are you gonna do about it?" one of them growled.

I stood tall and stepped forward, baring my teeth and growling back, "You don't want to find out,".