05

I was nervously pacing back and forth, waiting for Roxy to come over and watch my mom while I went to work. I was now down to chewing off my last nail, when the doorbell finally rang.

I opened the door quickly and was half relieved to see Roxy.

"Happy to see me?" She asked with a smile.

"Always am. I'm just nervous to start working again. What if Bonnie couldn't cover my shifts for the week that I was gone and now I have no job. Oh God, I hope Max doesn't fire me."

Roxy sucked her teeth. "With how you talk about Bonnie, I'm sure she was able to cover for her friend. And Max, well you can tell him to shove it if he fires you. I've never liked him ever since you told me one of the workers accused him of sexual harrassment."

Roxy removed her sweater and folded it, placing it neatly on the couch. She had her purse across her chest and removed that before leaving to wash her hands in the restroom.

"I don't know why you continue to work there for that piece of trash," she said when she came out of the restroom.

I folded my arms over my chest and sighed. "As much as I don't like Max, this is my only job so far. I don't make a lot but I make enough to pay the bills and pay you. I can't just quit."

"Okay, just be careful," she said. She approached me and hugged me. I returned the hug and smiled at her as we pulled away.

"See you later. I already gave my mom her first pill for the day." Roxy nodded and I grabbed my bag and sweater before leaving my house and jumping into my car for work.

::

I passed by the coffee shop and seen many customers already lined up, leading out of the door. That was the bad thing about living and working in L.A. Everything was always so packed. I sighed as I drove behind the building and parked in the employees parking.

I got out of my car, my heart beating uncomfortably fast. I shouldn't be so nervous. I had been working for this place for a year now but it feels like my first day at school.

I excused myself from a few customers as many of them were taking up the space from the entrance. I can see over the heads of the customers that Bonnie was running the register and one other unfamiliar person was helping make the coffee.

I approached the register and smiled at Bonnie until she looked up at me. Her frown upturned so quickly as soon as she seen me.

"Need help?" I asked.

Her eyes widened with plea. "Yes."

I quickly put my purse in the back and took out my apron. Tying it around myself, I made my way to the register. I hugged Bonnie from behind and I waited for her to finish with the customer before speaking.

"We can talk after. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it."

She chewed her lip and thoughtfully looked up. "Still remember how to work the register?"

I smiled at her. "Like riding a bike."

She smiled wide, showing off her white teeth. "Okay I'll be back here helping Amanda make coffee. By the way, she's two days new."

I nodded my head and turned away as soon as Bonnie began making coffee. I helped customer after customer, and it almost felt like I didn't actually leave for a week.

Several times I've been asked by Bonnie and by Roxy, "Are you going to work at the coffee shop forever?" At first my answer was, "Hell no," because who would want to waste their life working at a coffee shop. But now, I actually wouldn't mind it. It's a somewhat peaceful job and I enjoy making coffee. Although most days I'm working the register, I would much rather be making the coffee for customers rather than ringing them up.