My Only Hope- Chapter 1

Hey! I know this first chapter is short, but they get longer, I promise! Enjoy!

I woke up early, as I always do. Yup, today was just another normal day, or so I though. I looked through the window to the right of my lavender room just above my polka-dotted bed, to see the bluebird chirping as it always does. Realizing today was a just another school day, and I did not want to be late, I got up out of my bed and walked into the bathroom.

I ran a brush through my black, wavy hair and stared into the mirror, my green eyes reflecting back. I threw on my clothes, and went down to check the cabinets for something edible. I got lucky with cereal.

Halfway through my meal, I heard the soft footsteps of my eight-year-old sister, Kelsey, who had a tendency to sleep in.

“Did Mom wake you up?” I asked, knowing the answer already. Mom always woke her up on school days.

She nodded slowly, wiping any evidence of sleep from her eyes. She and I were very close. My family adopted her when she was three. I, being the oh-so-intelligent age of nine, did not know what to think of her. But soon enough, I accepted the role of ‘big sister’, and we became great friends and close sisters.

A knock on the door brought me back to reality. Knowing who it was, I sprang out of my seat and headed towards the door. I opened it to Scott, as I have done for the past two years, minus the weekends. We became almost instant friends and have be that way since. We also carpool, so that would explain him at my door in the first place.

He walked in and we waited for Mom. She came down the stairs in a bright yellow top that reminded me of sunshine, and a denim jacket.

“Are you ready?” She asked.

I answered her by following Scott out the door.