CHAPTER 5 - LIGHT SHOW

11.40 hours

May 8th, 2016

Kabrouk, Makhmur outskirts, Iraq

Sgt. Joseph Mueller – US Army Rangers

Orders just came in a few hours ago. Those ISIS guys had control over the village of Kabrouk, somewhere outside Makhmur. Iraqi forces are sent to retake it, and I've been attached as field reconnaissance and support. Well, me, my squad, and two other squads. The Lieutenant also came with us, commanding our Ranger squads as well as coordinating with our Iraqi allies.

I got my trusty SCAR-H behind my back, and my pistol on my hip. Now we're heading in, riding on our Humvees into battle on the side of our Iraqi friends. I see the buildings in the distance as we followed the two Iraqi technicals leading the way. A squad of soldiers sat on each of their beds, with their AK's ready at hand.

On our left was another Iraqi technical, and on our right was one of our Humvees carrying Avner's fireteam. The engine of an Iraqi T-72 roared behind us, drowning out the chatter of the soldiers sitting on it.

Pro-tip, don't look up the place on Google Maps. It's probably one of those unmarked clusters of buildings.

"Alright Joe, we're gonna garrison that 2-story building on our 11. Hernandez, go on our two. Smith, go on that one left of ours, over," Carl radioed the other two squads.

"Loud and clear, Lieutenant, over," one of them radioed back.

"On our way, senor, over," the other one answered.

Before I knew it, I saw in the rearview, four of our Humvees split off our convoy. They sped off to their designated locations ahead of us, leaving a trail of dust.

"Hey American, technical, 12 o' clock."

The lead Iraqi radioed us. Hostile vehicle up ahead...

"Sarge, bad guys in front!" Ramirez radioed. He was manning the M2HB on Avner's Humvee.

"Ramirez, knock em dead, over," I replied.

It didn't take long for Avner's Humvee to speed up in front of us and go for the kill. We moved up as well and saw muzzle flashes from his M2HB. The heavy machine gun fire was heard through the radio... just before an explosion.

"Got em! Oh wait... Hey, Pendejo! There's two more!!"

"What the..."

I looked through my binoculars. Just behind the smoking wreck of the truck Ramirez just took out, appeared two more. One of them had a mounted DShK heavy machine gun, and the other had an RPG.

"Get back!"

Oh shit... I forgot they never come alone.

"We're coming! Hey Haji, you come with us!"