CHAPTER 10 - NEW SET OF WHEELS

08.00 hours

May 23, 2016

Qayyarah outskirts, Iraq

Natasha V. Belova – Spetsnaz GRU

Whoa... okay that was quite a flashback...

Like I said. The tactics of the terrorists who ambushed Sgt. Miller's squad, as Thompson described, was quite similar with what happened back then to my father and the GRU team he was attached into. Al-Kuwbra has to be around here somewhere, no doubt about it. My team and I will have to make haste before he slips our grasp.

I woke up from my sleep, which I had after seeing Miller and Thompson's little act which I never really got to know what it feels like, and got out of my sleeping bag as I noticed there's two less people among us. Boris was still asleep. Sergey was sitting near the campfire, smoking a cigarette. The American, Miller, was still laid down in his sleeping bag. His two teammates are... nowhere to be seen.

"Hey Sergey," I called.

"You're up..." he responded.

"Where did the two other Americans go?"

"They said they're going out to find a vehicle to get back to their firebase so... they'd probably prowl down the road."

"Thought so..."

I went to gear up immediately. I tied my KLMK bandanna on my head, put on my Gorka shirt over my telnyashka, and grabbed my SVU silenced sniper rifle. I bolted out of the door.

"You guys stay here," I ordered as the door closed.

It's early in the morning. I set my gaze on the dry dirt road. There was a dust cloud incoming. The sign of an incoming vehicle, presumably hostile. Among the rocks and bushes on the other side of the road, a few hundred meters ahead of them was two American soldiers – Miller's teammates.

There was a cliff's edge ahead of me, overlooking the road. I immediately ran towards it and crouched among what little cover I could find. I took out my binoculars for a better look and started analyzing.

Two technicals.

Two-door truck on the front, mounted 7.62x54 mm PKM machine gun.

Four-door truck on the read, mounted 12.7 mm DShK heavy machine gun.

The latter is deadlier... but taking out the gunner on the front would give away my position. However, they're 300 meters from the two Americans and closing in, and if caught by surprise the PKM is enough to at least pin them down.

I put away my binoculars, switched to my SVU and aimed down the scope...

. . .