CHAPTER 14 - ON YOUR FEET, SOLDIER

A few hours earlier...

"Grave Sorrow to Brown Stone, do you copy?"

"Copy, Grave Sorrow."

"Alright. We have read his dossier. Lt. Shilah. Says here he's an expert sniper. Are you sure about this guy?"

"Affirmative. He's the best shot I can find over here. Our targets will not even know what hit them, as soon as we get him."

"Good. Task force is standing by. Where do you want them?"

. . .

October 19th, 2016

Sgt. Joseph Mueller – US Army Rangers

I had a flashback to my childhood. My memory with her, on that hill and lake. The two popsicles. The fireflies and full moon. The trivial things, yet somehow some of the most unforgettable. Will I... ever have such moments again with her? To be honest, I wasn't even sure of my fate. Let alone hers.

Last thing I remember was the gun to my chest. Heard the gunshot, felt a brief but sharp pain to my chest, and everything went black instantly.

Very faintly I heard my teammates still trading fire with the enemy.

But then, that was about it.

The round may have nailed me somewhere without piercing a vital organ, and I simply passed out due to the pain and injury. I might have a concussion from getting bludgeoned, which also would've caused me to pass out.

Or worse, the round might have pierced straight through my heart. One bullet, and I'm gone. I'd join the long list of American KIAs in Iraq. No goodbyes. No farewells. No written will. No chance to know if I got myself a medal. Goodbye everyone.

I hoped that wasn't the case. But if it were... so be it. I'd die a crusader in the fight against evil. I'd have no regrets. Maybe I'd make it to Arlington and rest among the chosen. But are my teammates alright? Is my best friend alive? If I'm dead... I'll never know until I meet any of them upstairs...

My thoughts were interrupted by a beeping voice.

A cardioscope.

The realization came to mind. I'm alive. I moved my fingers as I regained my senses. And slowly opened my eyes. I saw a light... on the ceiling. I heard a bit of chatter.

"Whoa. Welcome back, Sarge."

I looked to my left. It was Pvt. Mitchell. Still dazed, I put my hand on my head.