CHAPTER 11 - DEUS VULT

09.48 hours

October 18th, 2016

Qaraqosh, Iraq

Sgt. Joseph Mueller – US Army Rangers

Some of my teammates are saying I'm starting to love this job a bit too much. Hell, they're not wrong, especially as I see what we are fighting against. They deserve nothing less than the classical America-fuck-yeah ass-kicking and I'd be more than happy to do the honor of delivering it to them.

A few months had passed since the ambush which nearly costed me my life. Sometimes it mildly hurts still when I move awkwardly, but overall, I'm all good now. Just a month ago our reinforcements arrived for my squad to replace our fallen comrades. We took the time to know each other more, which in my book includes hitting the range and killhouse to see how good they are. And even better, we got an M1126 Stryker ICV assigned to my squad. Hell yeah...

Two months ago, we have regained control of Qayyarah air base, aka Q-West. Assisted by our airstrikes and whatnot, the Iraqi troops steamrolled the ragheads and drove them out. We ain't going nowhere, so we've set up Camp Qayyarah and an FOB. I get to sleep closer to the action. Gunfire in the night has become music to my ears. Some call me crazy for thinking so, but y'all know the saying. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

And now it's another day in the office for me, as my squad is again attached for reconnaissance and calling airstrikes. The Iraqis are making a move towards the Christian town of Qaraqosh. Peshmerga and local Christian paramilitaries will join us in the effort too. I can safely say, this brings out my inner Crusader, about to liberate the largest Christian city in Iraq from the hordes of ISIS barbarians.

"Alright. This should be a good spot," I said as I saw the three-story building through the periscopes and display.

"Roger that, Sarge," Underwood stated. He stopped the vehicle on the roadside. We opened the rear door and went out. Carl, Avner and Underwood stayed behind to man the vehicle. Two Iraqi technicals drove past us. Just ahead of us, a couple of ISIS gunmen popped out of cover. But with a salvo from our mounted M2HB, they fell on the spot.

We made our way through the alleys and reached the building. I took point.

"Door charge, C."

She took a breaching charge from her backpack and set it on the door. Just after she shifted back to the wall, a shotgun blast erupted, sending buckshot through the door. That was a really close call. But without further delay, she pressed the detonator.

It went off. The explosion sent the door flying into the room, stunning the ragheads as we stormed in with our guns blazing.

Three guys in front of me, caught by surprise. One of them fell as I fired a burst, and another one got a double-tap to the face. The other was tossed a few feet back as CT blasted him with her underbarrel shotgun. There were three more guys, but they barely could return fire as my squad pumped them full of lead and sent them to their 72 virgins.