CHAPTER 17 - WRITTEN ON THE WALL

22.30 hours

October 19th, 2016

Sgt. Joseph Mueller – US Army Rangers

My eyes widened in disbelief as Nat hung up our call. A traitor amongst our ranks? This will not stand.

I immediately grabbed Alqam's PDA and his sidearm, a Tokarev TT-33, before hightailing it back to the house that we started at. I remembered the hostile that Nat alerted about.

The Unnamed... they call themselves...

Brown Stone...

Bronstein...

Well, fuck you.

I put away my phone and heard gunfire echoed along the way... coming from among the sparse foliage in the ridges.

"Joe? Avner? Shit... they're on to me!"

"I'm coming, buddy!"

"Flashbang!"

. . .

I ran across the road behind me, and cut through the alley. As I reached the end a pair of stragglers showed up with AK-47's in their hands. The two noticed me and one of them fired, but I quickly leapt to my side and went prone behind a crate. I drew out my M32 and peeked out to lob a single 40 mm grenade at their position. As it impacted the ground, the 40 mm round sets off in a cloud of shrapnel that stops the two guys in their tracks.

They're down. Moving up. I switched to my SCAR-H and did a quick reload as I proceeded. One guy was rushing up the slope to the small house we've started from. A flash of rifle fire erupted from the window, and the guy fell with three bullets in his chest. I looked through my rifle scope. And it's him. The guy Nat warned about.

Still with my SCAR-H in my hands I approached the small house. Avner went out of the door and... apparently, he notices my body language. He has his M16A4 slung behind his back and readies his silenced Uzi on his hand, pointed slightly to the ground just below me.

"Avner? Where the hell's the Lieutenant?"

"He's... uh... I dunno, I lost track as well. He did say he's relocating after a few shots, right?"

We heard another gunfire.

"You stay right here! That's an order!"

I ran up the slope to the ridge where Carl is, when suddenly...

*CLICK!*

My eyes widened as I heard a submachine gun click, just behind my head. Little did he know, I was playing dumb. I quickly twisted to my side and whipped the gun away as I turned to my right, while at the same time with my left hand I took out my M1911 and pointed it at... my former teammate's face.