CHAPTER 24 - ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR

22

22.48 hours

July 4th, 2025

Woodville, Texas, United States of America

Joseph Mueller

Seven years later...

The blinding light completely filled my vision. It then changed to a rapid flashing as I closed my eyes.

"Yo Jackson, that's not safe. Get that thing out of my eyes," I told.

Sensing the light was away, I opened my eyes. There were still spots dancing in my vision. Beyond it was the sight of a young boy. He had light brown hair and wore a Captain America T-shirt, A tactical flashlight in his hands was pointed onto the ground. Well guys, meet my son Jackson.

"Cool flashlight. Why flash on and off? Funny," he asked.

"Heheh... Come here, I show you," I replied.

He walked on the grass and went over to me on the truck bed. He then handed over the tactical flashlight as he sat beside me on the blanket-covered mattress. And, yeah, we're camping for the weekend now.

"I thought flashlight supposed to stay on?"

Excuse the grammar. He's 6.

"Son, ya see this switch over here?" I said as I showed him the switch, "Off, on, and... strobe."

"Strobe?"

"The one you just did on me," I joked, while I continued to demonstrate, "Alright. This one turns it off, this one turns it on the normal way..."

"And last one..."

"Flashes on and off quickly to blind and disorient whatever's getting this to the face. I attach this to my rifle and use it when fighting the bad guys, so they can't see me and my friends... while I can see them perfectly and fight them easier."

"Cool... but no bad guys here?"

"You're welcome. Nah I'm kidding, you can use this on a burglar while someone else hits them from behind."

"Whoaaa... hey where's Mommy?"

"Surprise!" my wife shouted. She emerged from under the blanket we were sitting on. Seeing his chance, Jackson grabbed the tactical flashlight from me while I was distracted. He pointed it to her face, as it was still flashing. My wife covered her eyes with her hands and shouted jokingly.

"Aaaahh... noo! My eyes..."

"Reverse surprise!" Jackson replied.

The three of us laughed as he gave it back to me. After I had to fight against his grab a little to get it. Man, he's one strong and quick little fella, I'd give him that.