Thirty four

I kept on breathing hard,  trying to calm myself while feeling the continuous pain on my belly. Sobrang sakit. Hindi ko maipaliwanag ang sakit.

Napapansin ko ang madalas na pagtingin sa akin ni Peter habang nagmamaneho siya. He looked more nervous as he sped up his driving.

"Hold on, Sha. Malapit na tayo." Paulit ulit niyang sinasabi. I closed my eyes  as I tried to endure the pain. Pero agad din akong napadilat nang marinig ko ang sirena ng isang sasakyan. When I looked at the side mirror, the Skyway patrol was following us. Peter noticed it also and he cursed under his breath, but chose to ignore them. Mas binilidan niya pagmamaneho. Ganoon din sila hanggang sa naabutan na nila kami.

"Slow down." The officer even shouted, looking at us. Peter turned deaf and didn't bother to acknowledge them. Still, they insisted for us to slow down and stop on the side for a while.

"Tumigil muna tayo, Peter." Sabi ko kahit hirap na hirap na ako.

"No. Hayaan mo sila." Naiinis na sagot niya.

"Peter, please." He looked at me and hissed but maneuvered the car to side and stopped. The patrol car did the same. Mabilis na bumaba ang dalawang officer at lumapit sa amin. Ibinaba rin ni Peter ang bintana ng sasakyan.

"Boss, my wife is pregnant. Papunta kami sa Ospital because she's now in labor." He stated before they could even utter a word. They glanced at me. I felt another pain and so I grabbed Peter's hand. Tumingin siya sa akin. Kita ko sa kanya ang sobrang pagaalala.

"Okay." They said. We even heard them saying the Plate Number of our car to someone over the phone. Para siguro magabiso na bigyan kami ng isang lane. We said Thank you then drove off again.

Hindi ko alam kung anong oras kami nakarating sa Hospital. Nakita ko nalang na nasa labas na kami at mabilis siyang kumikilos para maibaba ako ng sasakyan. A nurse welcomed us. Peter carried me and put me on a wheelchair. Everybody was moving fast. I was exhausted and in so much pain. They brought me directly to the ER. Peter was holding my hand all the way until a nurse stopped him from coming in.

Mas kinabahan ako magisa. I needed someone with me.

I clutched on the side of the hospital bed as another pain lanced through me. It was getting more and more intense.

People were coming in and out. The light was blinding me. The noise was making me more exhausted.

Sa lahat ng taong nandito, isa lang ang hinahanap ko. A single tear rolled down my cheek but I tried to set aside my thoughts and focus on giving birth to my baby.

"Sha. You hear me?" A doctor said. Her voice was soft and it somehow helped me calm a little. "Relax. Breath in. Breath out." I followed her instructions just like what I practiced before.

"Wala kang kasama? Where's her husband?" She asked to the nurses. Hindi ko nalang pinansin ang pangalawang tanong niya.

"He's changing na po, doc." One nurse replied. I shut my eyes and pursed my lips together as I felt another sharp pain.

"Okay." She only said then turned her attention back on me." I can see the head na. When I say push. Push ha." I nodded.

"1,2, 3, Push." And I did, clenching my teeth and shutting my eyes so hard. I gripped the sheets tightly. "Again. You're doing great." I pushed again. Nabigla pa ako nang may kumuha sa kamay ko. When I glanced at my side, Peter was there. Nakatayo siya sa gilid ng kama ko at nakangiti sa akin. His one hand was holding mine while the other was on my shoulder, supporting my body. Hindi ko mapiligan ang luha ko. He is really a genuine person. Palagi siyang nasa tabi sa tuwing kailangan ko siya. "More, Sha." The doctor said. I pushed more, gripping tightly his hand. I repeated it and finally, a loud piercing cry of my daughter was heard in the room. I laid my back on the bed with a smile on my face.

I closed my eyes. I was exhausted. I'd never been this tired my whole life.

Peter spoke, anew. "Sha, she's beautiful, like you." I forced my eyes to open and looked at him who was holding my daughter. She was wrapped in a pink blanket. She's sleeping peacefully. She's indeed beautiful, like an angel. My angel.

I couldn't hold on to my tears as they fell. I was so happy and thankful.

"You can have some rest now, sweetheart. Babantayan ko kayong dalawa ni Charm." I heard from Peter and he kissed my forehead. I just gave him a small smile and closed my eyes.

***

Peter was happy as well with tears streaming down on his face the moment he held the little child in his arms.

He has been with Cashanna throughout her pregnancy. He really loves her.

"Peter?" Someone called his name. He turned around and saw Mrs. Sevilla with Mr. Sevilla. He still feels slightly uncomfortable with them because they are the parents of the man that he loathes the most. Pero pamilya na rin ito ni Cashanna, kaya nakikisama nalang siya.

"Good evening po. Cashanna is fine. She successfully gave birth to a healthy baby girl." He beamed, causing them to sigh in relief and smiled widely. "Nagpapahinga na po siya ngayon. Baby Charm is in the Nursery room pero ililipat din po mamaya sa room ni Cashanna." He said more.

"Charm is her name?" Mrs. Sevilla asked.

Peter nodded. "Charmaine Athalia." He pronounced. The couple looked at each other then at him again.

"Can we see her?" Happiness was evident on their faces. They were so excited to see their apo.

"Sure po." And he walked with them going to the Nursery Room.

There was no need for him to tell which of the babies was Charm as they could easily spot their granddaughter. Their faces lighted up as they stared at her angelic face.

"She's so beautiful." Mrs. Sevilla said with tears in her eyes. Mr. Sevilla also agreed. They couldn't wait to hold her.

Not so long, they heard another voice. Peter was the first who looked and saw Cashanna's parents. They walked directly to them as soon as they saw their smiles.

"Nandiyan ba ang apo ko?" Sabi ng Mommy ni Cashanna. They all nodded and gave them spaces.

"Nasaan ang anak ko?" Tanong ng Daddy ni Sha. She was the first one he wanted to see. Kanina pa ito nagaalala sa anak.

"Nailipat na po siya ng room. Room 305 po." Sagot ni Peter. "She's sleeping now po, Tito." Dagdag niya pa. Pinagmasdan muna nila saglit ang ako bago nagtungo sa unica hija nila.

"Puntahan ko siya." Sabi ni Mr. Dela Cruz.  Napabaling si Peter dito nang magsimula na ito maglakad paalis. Sumunod din siya.

The grandparents were so mesmerized with their granddaughter. Soon after, Maverick and Shirley together with their kids came as well as the Sevilla brothers with their partners.

"Dito po ang room ni Sha." Peter told as they continued to walk.

"Salamat, Peter. Thank you for accompanying my daughter." Mr. Dela Cruz said as he looked into his eyes and tapped his shoulders. Kung alam lang nila na gagawin niya ang lahat para kay Cashanna.

Ngumiti siya at sinilip muna ang loob ng kwarto ni Cashanna. Binuksan niya ang pintuan nang makita na gising na ito at nakatingin sa bintana.

Her head moved when she heard the door opened. He smiled at her. Mas lumawak ang ngiti nito nang masilayan ang lalaki na nasa likod ni Peter.

"Dad..." She called. Her voice still sounded tired.

"Anak..." Her father said and went near her. He enveloped her in his arms and kissed the top of her head. "You did a great job, anak." She couldn't help but cry.

Even Peter was moved with the sight. While everyone was excited to see the newborn baby, her father was there to see his.