Thirty nine

We were on our way going back to Laguna. Finally, I'm about to get some fresh air.

My baby slept soundlessly on my chest. She gets tired of the whole photoshoot and attention from her Grandparents' friends. I can already imagine the eyes of the people when our photos come out in public.

I sighed.

I peeked at my left and like what has been planned, Paul is giving us a ride, but I still haven't talked to him after last night. I do not know what to say anymore. I believed that I made it clear to him that we cannot start again as easily as he thinks.

I'm also thinking about the reactions of Dad, Mom, and Kuya when they see me with him. This will be the first time they will meet him in person. Medyo kinakabahan ako kay Daddy. I still remember how furious he was with my ex-boyfriend before.

My mind wandered back into the house. Does he have a house? Bakit? I mean, it is definitely and obviously big enough for just one person. Is he expecting us to move in with him? With the interiors and all our photos displayed inside and even the baby's room, maybe he is. Hindi ko alam ang mararamdaman ko sa ideyang iyon.

Ever since he came back, he has been making me so confused. He makes me question again, my feelings.

I took a deep breath anew and glanced outside only to see that we have reached our destination. When I look at him, he's no longer in the driver's seat and instead already holding the door open on my side. I looked up at him. He's staring back at me with some raw emotions. I leaped out and fixed my daughter in my arms.

He drew a long deep breath but didn't say anything. He went to the trunk and took out all the gifts.

Nagsimula na akong maglakad and I can already hear the noise of the kids. Nagising na rin ang anak ko. Napapansin ko rin ang mga tingin at bulong bulungan ng mga kapitbahay namin. Maybe it was because of how formal we look.

"Sha!" I heard Mommy's voice and she's walking in our direction. She was smiling at me before her eyes darted to the man beside me. Opposite from Dad, Mommy doesn't hold any grudge against the father of my child. She is really understanding.

She looked at me again as if questioning who are we with.

After taking a steadying breath, I introduced Paul.

"Mommy si Paul po."

"Da-da. Da-da." Charm interrupted, continuing my words. Mommy glanced at me again before turning to Paul.

"Hi, Paul. It's so nice to finally meet you." She said, shaking his hand. Paul greeted and smiled back at my mother.

"Ma, may pinadala po pala si Tita Amanda. Kinakamusta niya rin kayo." Sabi ko pa at inabot naman ni Paul ang dalawang malaking paper bag kay Mommy.

"Oh! Thank you so much. Tamang tama, may iha-harvest na akong mga gulay. Ibibigay ko rin iyon sa kanya." Mommy and Tita became friends though hirap pa rin sila na kuhanin ang loob ni Daddy. "Let's go. The party is about to start." Mommy invited and we walked in.

I haven't caught a glimpse of my Dad, but I already saw Kuya Mav. The smile on his face was immediately changed by a frown. He excused himself and went to where we were standing.

"Cashanna" He called. His voice and facial expression were both serious. He glared at the man on my right. "Who is he?" He asked.

"Da-da." Charm mumbled again and extended her arms to her father. Paul got her from me which made her squeal in delight. Kuya's brows furrowed more. He grabbed my hand and pulled me a little far from them.

"Is he the father?" Madiing tanong niya. Hindi ako sumagot. "Anong ginagawa niya dito? Bakit mo siya sinama? Huwag mong sabihin na nagkabalikan kayo?" I suddenly felt exhausted. I know that I will need to make the same explanation to Daddy.